DIY - Frayed throttle or brake cable fix

This is an effective way to end the frustration of annoying frayed ends of the throttle and brake cable. I used a mini torch that I also use for soldering small jobs, however, I assume an electric solder gun will do the same trick. The flux is optional as well.

Before

After

Items needed

YouTube - cable cleanup

danc9

What I like to do is fill a 1/2" pipe cap with solder and dip the cable end into the molten solder for a few moments. If you flux the end before dipping, and leave it in till it gets hot, you'll get a little penetration into the cable. Pull it out and wipe it smooth. Wallah! Great cable end that will no longer fray!

DAN

nice tip :thumbsup: i do this too , one thing tho you may have more trouble if the cable has been used getting a clean solder nub . clean the end with carb spray ,then dip in plumbing flux and solder .
another cheap trick i was shown put a wrap of tape where you want to cut the cable and cut throw the tape . the tape will help keep it from fraying out on ya .

gbones

nice tip :thumbsup: i do this too , one thing tho you may have more trouble if the cable has been used getting a clean solder nub . clean the end with carb spray ,then dip in plumbing flux and solder .
another cheap trick i was shown put a wrap of tape where you want to cut the cable and cut throw the tape . the tape will help keep it from fraying out on ya .
ive used the tape trick with braided hose lines in the past, always worked for me:thumbsup:

To keep the ends from fraying when I cut a cable I slide a one inch piece of electrical heat shrink tubing over the cable and shrink it up good and tight. Then use a sharp cold chisel and a good size two to five pound hammer and give it one solid hard blow on an anvil or vise and voila......beautiful cut. We used to use this on the flying wires that held the wings on biplanes. Ogy

Its a great Idea and works:thumbsup:

I do all mine cables with soldered ends,
You can use the same method for making your own throttle ends for the Mikuni/Keihen carburetors with a small brass end cut from 1/8 brass tube. Then you can attach the cable to the slide in the carburetor.

That shit won't fall off.
agreed if you can solder worth a dam that will hold just fine in a throttle. the cable in my chappy i had to make the top half and its soldered , has held up to a year of use .
i would NOT solder a break cable end or a recoil cable end that dont work well . there you need something better then common solder, brass works or sliver solder should be fine too

agreed if you can solder worth a dam that will hold just fine in a throttle. the cable in my chappy i had to make the top half and its soldered , has held up to a year of use .
i would NOT solder a break cable end or a recoil cable end that dont work well . there you need something better then common solder, brass works or sliver solder should be fine too
Anyone know how the FACTORY attatches the barrels/ball to the cable???