Dmp trailchamp

Time to start another one lol , I have its little brother the Scamper just about completed

Day 1 , brought it inside , it has been waiting in the toyhauler , and stripped it down to a pile of parts

The starting point, DMP TRAILCHAMP

After a couple of hours of stripping it down

I already orderd parts from OldMiniBikes , so have new chrome fenders , brakes and controls for it but still need to make a list of more bits and pieces

I have decided to repaint it with Duplicolor bright blue engine enamel , it is a very close match to the original color

Now on to the sanding and grinding lol

Last edited:
I hear ya Rob, I have been hoping for some weather warm enough and dry enough to rearrange the shop and get back to work :thumbsup: Looks like it is going to rain here for like the next 6 or 7 days :doah:

Went back out after supper and finished sanding the frame , then primer and paint
The duplicolor engine enamel is a great paint to work with it tacks up fast and allows you to build up multiple coats in a short time

Sprocket86

Looks good man. And these DMP minis look like a quality piece!
I was thinking of using the neon green Duplicolor engine enamel on my Lawnboy Sprocket build so it has that Lawnboy green theme going. I wish I could find some O.E.M LB color in a rattle can but so far no such luck.

What's a "SE Woods" mini bike? Is this another rare Canadian only mini?

Thanks guys its going to be a great rider with 8 inch wheels and full suspension

Sprocket , the se woods is a "look alike" to the fox campus but was made in Canada

Day 2

Got a lot more cleaning sanding primeing and painting done

Front Fork upper

Rear shocks buffed and repainted

Wheel hubs and front springs

I fought with the old tires and rims , thought I might have to get Buckeyes help lol
But was able to get them apart so more sanding and painting today

Then on to the engine , I have never even tried to start it so it may be fun lol

Day 3

Not as a productive day as I would have liked but was able to clear coat the frame and then assemble it after it dried

Sandblasted , primed and painted the rims

Then I started cleaning up the hs40 Tecumseh , I have the carb soaking but it is in bad shape
It had diaphragm carb on it but may switch to a float style

Day 4

Today was my mothers 76th birthday , so as any good son would do I worked on my mini bikes lol
Not all day but did get a bit done

Mounted wheels tires and hubs , replaced all the bearings , and bolted all the parts together with new stainless steel fasteners , new chrome OldMiniBikes fenders

So here it is as a roller

Thanks Owend , I tend to be a little obsessive compulsive lol

Day 5

Today I worked on the engine and it fought me all the way lol
Two broken bolts in the backing plate for the shroud , had to weld nuts on and try and turn them out and one partialy stripped head bolt
The carb , was so gummed up that the diaphrams were shot , so will have to order a kit , in the mean time I had a lauson power products carb from a two stroke that is a very close match , just had to change the throttle plate and shaft

Gave it a couple of pulls and it fired right up , it gives a little puff of smoke when you throttle it up but that's nothing for a 40+ year old engine lol

Then the shroud had to be massaged back in shape and a stress crack along the top had to be welded and filled

Lastly primer and a couple of coats of gloss white , will clear coat it along with the chain guard later

Pictures didn't work so will post some later

Day 5
Pictures

Engine HS40 , just needs filter housing and decals

Chain guard , think Bikebuddy is going to make me some decals

I will focus on the mechanical stuff next , brake caliper mount for rear sprocket , jackshaft , chain and controls