Doodle Bug + Predator 212 = Hauling A$$

I bought my second Doodle Bug on Craigslist last week. Paid $120 for it. The seller told me it only need a tune up and it would run. Of course it needed more then that. When I got it home I realized that the float bowl for the carb was gone, as well as a few springs. I looked at it good, but it was hard to notice in a grocery store parking lot.

I got it home and decided to pull out the engine and put in a Predator from Harbor Fright. It was a no brainer. A new cab is $30-$40 and a whole now Predator was $98 with a coupon.

Here is a pic of what it looked like when I got it.

MB 004.JPG

Here is what it looks like now. This thing ABSOLUTELY HAULS A$$.

I am 6'2 and 250 and it is so fast it is scary!

Attachments

Last edited:
i did the same thing i still have the governor on but what i did was i connected a rod from the throtle lever right to the governor arm so when i twist the throttle it pulls the governor arm and it doesnt kick in gps top speed is 44 mph hauls da mail

i did the same thing i still have the governor on but what i did was i connected a rod from the throtle lever right to the governor arm so when i twist the throttle it pulls the governor arm and it doesnt kick in gps top speed is 44 mph hauls da mail
Wow. How about sending us a pic so we can see the mod?

VV

jays0n

The governor is important on those engines, the connecting rod is known to come apart if you over-rev it, someone can give the RPM but I don't remember it being all that high. I wouldn't push the engine past the governed RPM without swapping the rod and flywheel out first.

In my opinion there is no need to take the gov out unless you are trying to build a drag bike and planing to drop some serious money into beefing up the engine and stabilizing the overall ride and breaking performance of the bike. Mine will do 35-40 mph easy, and I would not want to go any faster than that. I have two doodlebugs and at 35 the front end is shaking and the clutch and chain are whining and the brakes are struggling.

I love the low end torque my stock 212 has. It pulls hard from 0-30. If I don't lean forward and hold on, the bike will come right out from under me. It is plenty of power for me.

When you consider the $ per power ratio, I am get an amazing "return on investment". Sure the drag bikes are faster, but to do it right = big $.

VV

Last edited: