Doodlebug/Baja quality issues??

hey guys, im new to the minibike world and recently picked up a 70' Cat 300x. it's really fun and i wanted someone to ride with, so i picked up a 97cc Baja Racer (same as doodlebug, but green) for $200 new off ebay... i was really excited to get it and thought i got the deal of a lifetime.. when i got it home and started to REALLY look it over, i noticed the build/quality wasnt as solid as the Cat i have is.. it's not a ONE piece design as there is a seam/weld under the engine plate. the engine plate itself isnt as thick as the Cat, nor is the overall tubing?? it's technically a bigger bike, BUT, it's lighter than my Cat. oh, and there's also a sticker on back, "made in china" haha. i rode it and the engine is so underpowered it barely got up my driveway (and i only weigh 160lbs). the brake lever is cheap plastic, and when i went to adjust it, you could see the threading on the cable just cross thread the handle with plastic filing coiling off. the chain is thinner and cheaper, as well as the sprockets - it's just a cheap bike! i guess what i want to know is, have any of you bent, or maybe even broken a weld on the doodlebug?? i wanted to get a bigger 5hp briggs and give it some power cause i do like how it looks and though the frame is thinner, cheaper and weaker, i do like its design (the handle on the rear, and it's just ergonomically more comfortable than my Cat). i dont want to put an engine or money into it in general just to have it bend or break in the future! thoughts??

These little frames, as light weight as they, are tough, there are guys around here that race them that weigh 250-300 lbs. and ride them hard with hopped up 6.5s on them with no frame or fork problems.

Last edited:
did you bother to do any reading in this section? :doah:

we have members that are 350+lbs that ride them and there are a lot of modded ones that get raced too. i'm 250lbs and have a modded 6.5 in mine and haven't had one problem with the frame.

wow, im very impressed! the manual as well as the frame itself say "NOT to exceed 150lbs" Should i assume it's due to overloading the engine and NOT the frame?? as i said, im new to these toys, and ive just found the older mini's are thicker and more solid so right away i was worried about the Baja Racer's strength. the seat is nice and long and i was also weary of riding someone on the back with me here and there.. if you guys say they can take the abuse/weight, than i believe ya.. so NOBODY has ever had any frame issues; good. what have you guys done though?? what fits and is prob the best combo for the doodles?? are you using torque-a-verters? is it safe to say since the doodlebug frames are lighter, they're slightly @ an advantage pertaining to power-to-weight ratios?

i think the 150lb limit is more for the engine and tires. it says to run 5psi max in them and i've had mine at 30psi the whole time i've owned it. airing the tires up a bunch helps.

most people run the 6.5 clone from Harbor Freight in them. cjtmini (member here) sells a complete kit to swap one in. if you're somewhat mechanically inclined, you can do the swap yourself. it's been discussed on here a lot so just do a search if you want more info. you'll also need to get a new clutch when doing an engine swap since the stock clutch is 5/8" and larger engines use a 3/4" one.

mine should be in the 11-12hp range right now and i've hit some nasty potholes at 40+mph without hurting anything (on the bike at least).

im def mechanically inclined working on my own track bike and modded volvo - but when it comes to these little mower engines, im totally lost! go figure. i was looking @ briggs race engines on ebay, and 11-12 hp sounds fun.. would i have to get a kit to put the briggs on there as far as the mounting holes? are torq a verters good? and what chain and how many teeth? you guys using the #34? i should do some reading :eek:)

Yes the frame quality probably isin't as good the old vintage minibike but it is pretty reliable. I am 6'4" tall, and 300 pounds and let me tell ya, I ride the sh*t outta my doodlebug. I installed the 6.5 horse clone, 11 tooth clutch with the stock rear sprocket, split the case and removed the governor, installed a billet flywheel, heavier valve springs, 92 jet in the carb, a dual stage pipe and k&n airfilter. I dont know exactly how much power its making now but it flat out hauls ass with my 300 pound self on it.
I have a couple skinny buddies and they probably go 175 pound each.Both of them have vintage style minibikes. One has a stock 6.5 clone and the other has a 5.5 horse briggs on his. We drag race all the time and trail race and I eat them up off the line so bad that they can barely catch up by the finish line.
I will say that the disc brake rotor on the minibike is a good idea, but not pretty much useless when you flying like 35 mph wide open, (at least mine is.) They were probably designed to stop a turd like the 97cc engine with a child riding it and thats it.
I am running the stock chain also . I know on my handlebars is a sticker warning not to exceed 150 pounds, but Im twice that and I have not had any issues with bending the frame or front forks but I DO NOT jump it.
Btw.. before i got the 6.5 clone, I had bought a Briggs engine off a water pump and it would not fit in my doodlebug frame without removing the gas tank. I didnt want to do that because I dont like the look of mounting a tank on top the frame. Take that into consideration before you buy a bigger engine. With the 6.5 horse clone, the engine just fits and its a little difficult to get the gas cap off.:punk:

Last edited:
im def mechanically inclined working on my own track bike and modded volvo - but when it comes to these little mower engines, im totally lost! go figure. i was looking @ briggs race engines on ebay, and 11-12 hp sounds fun.. would i have to get a kit to put the briggs on there as far as the mounting holes? are torq a verters good? and what chain and how many teeth? you guys using the #34? i should do some reading :eek:)

you either have to drill/slot holes or get the engine plate from cjtmini to fit a 5hp briggs in it. TAVs are good, but getting expensive and hard to find since Comet went out of business. DBs use #35 chain and you'll be fine with a 12t clutch on the front with the stock 70t rear sprocket.

I will say that the disc brake rotor on the minibike is a good idea, but not pretty much useless when you flying like 35 mph wide open, (at least mine is.) They were probably designed to stop a turd like the 97cc engine with a child riding it and thats it.
the stock brake sucks. switching over a hydraulic unit makes a huge difference. search on here if you want more info on them.

Yes the frame quality probably isin't as good the old vintage minibike but it is pretty reliable. I am 6'4" tall, and 300 pounds and let me tell ya, I ride the sh*t outta my doodlebug. I installed the 6.5 horse clone, 11 tooth clutch with the stock rear sprocket, split the case and removed the governor, installed a billet flywheel, heavier valve springs, 92 jet in the carb, a dual stage pipe and k&n airfilter. I dont know exactly how much power its making now but it flat out hauls ass with my 300 pound self on it.
I have a couple skinny buddies and they probably go 175 pound each.Both of them have vintage style minibikes. One has a stock 6.5 clone and the other has a 5.5 horse briggs on his. We drag race all the time and trail race and I eat them up off the line so bad that they can barely catch up by the finish line.
I am running the stock chain also . I know on my handlebars is a sticker warning not to exceed 150 pounds, but Im twice that and I have not had any issues with bending the frame or front forks but I DO NOT jump it.
Btw.. before i got the 6.5 clone, I had bought a Briggs engine off a water pump and it would not fit in my doodlebug frame without removing the gas tank. I didnt want to do that because I dont like the look of mounting a tank on top the frame. Take that into consideration before you buy a bigger engine. With the 6.5 horse clone, the engine just fits and its a little difficult to get the gas cap off.:punk:
Just move you'r tank to the left 2 " it fixes that problem with the gas cap.:punk:

MY .02 - you dont need an 11hp motor to have fun with it. Get a used briggs 6 hp ohv or an old 5 hp flat head motor for it and install it using ctjmini's plate. With a 6 hp motor you can go 30-35 mph on it and it will throw you on your butt in a hurry as well !

A rich source of 6 hp ohv motors are pressure washers. Here in chicago when it gets cold - people forget to protect their pressure washer from freezing in their garages during the winter. Next time they use the washer they find the pump is broken from frozen water having expanding in the pump, then they sell the motor.

vette66_00

If you use the California EPA/CARB 6.5 engine from Harbor Freight. And you dont use the KIT all you have to do it get the gas cap to clear is take off the black outer cap. You can see in the pic below the white cap. Its just that the black outer part taken off.

I have the Harbor Fright clone engine but I don't think its EPA?Calif. certified. I can get the gas cap off, it's just a little difficult. I will look into moving the tank over like Allen1967 suggested. I have to work on it anyways. I was Trail racing my buddies and hit a mud hole and the tires went out from underneath me and I wiped out. I must have crashed at full throttle because the plastic lever arm on the carb broke in two.:hammer:

so how much is the 6.5 clone and who do i get it off?? i read who sells the 'kit'/engine mount.. is it already set up for a mini (throttle linkage, etc)? also, ive got promod's jackshaft on my db right now.. can i use it on the 6.5?? any of you guys done that? and which clutch have you all used for the swap??

I bought one on CL (yellow DB) and paid $150 it was as new. I knew the quality was not up to snuff w my vintage stuff but it is heavy enough for me to ride at 225# although it will barely move, I gave it to my 6yo daughter and it moves her right along! Lots of guys repower and ride them and they are as heavy or heavier than me so just ride it and dont worry!