Doodlebug engine swap to pocket bike

I have a brand new DB30 engine that my friend is considering buying to swap onto his pocket bike frame. We are trying to determine if the engine swap is doable, as his sprocket and Jackshaft are on the right side of his pocket bike. Is there anyone here who can tell me if turning the crankshaft around would make the swap possible?

( Is there anyone here who can tell me if turning the crankshaft around would make the swap possible? )

Can you explain what you are thinking ?

( Is there anyone here who can tell me if turning the crankshaft around would make the swap possible? )

Can you explain what you are thinking ?
I was thinking of removing the crankshaft and turning it around so that the clutch would be on the right side. I may be way off base here, so if anyone has an idea of how I can get the DB engine to work on a pocket bike with right side gearing, please let me know.

vette66_00

I was thinking of removing the crankshaft and turning it around so that the clutch would be on the right side. I may be way off base here, so if anyone has an idea of how I can get the DB engine to work on a pocket bike with right side gearing, please let me know.
2 ways of making this work. 1) jack shaft making the left drive a right drive this is also the easiest. 2) swapping the drive tire around, you would also require you to change the brake assy around. There could also be a alignment issue if the frame is designed flatter on one side for the drive.

The first way is probably the easiest couple welds and a jackshaft.

2 ways of making this work. 1) jack shaft making the left drive a right drive this is also the easiest. 2) swapping the drive tire around, you would also require you to change the brake assy around. There could also be a alignment issue if the frame is designed flatter on one side for the drive.

Thanks vette66 :thumbsup:. I knew someone on here had the answer.

On some pocketbike rear wheels you can swap the sprocket if it has a 35 pitch, with the rotor and remount the caliper! otherwise you have to get a diferrent sproket! A lot of those PBs have a tiny chain. Also a 5 horse briggs will fit dimentionaly if you cut the frame tubes and drop the mount 2" also a new mount will have to be fabricated for the monoshock! I dont think you would have to do that on a 2.8 lifan Dont ask how I know this! If you set your mind to it you can do more than you think! Dont worry about these guys hackin on ya if ya dont knw then ya dont know!

I have done this and the juice aint worth the squeeze! Also did it on a Dirtbug rear wheel assy. used on another mini, just swapped em and remounted the tire and swapped spacers, centered the tire that way as the hub is staggered on those.

On some pocketbike rear wheels you can swap the sprocket if it has a 35 pitch, with the rotor and remount the caliper! otherwise you have to get a diferrent sproket! A lot of those PBs have a tiny chain. I dont think you would have to do that on a 2.8 lifan
That is also a great idea supernova! We will consider that approach too. I can handle the relocating and welding of the caliper myself.

If its a cateye pocket bike or x1 then just take the gear with 2 sprockets on it (jackshaft) and move it to the otherside of the bike so it works with yer engine. You will HAVE to do modifications because u need to move the brakes and calipers. Its been done with a 6.5 clone on a cateye/x1. search youtbe