Doodlebug on the street.

So what's everyone experience with driving their minibike on the road? I live <1 mile from work and wonder if I'd get beef from the cops if I drove it to and from work.

Texas laws say that if it has a motor, then you have to have it inspected and you need a motorcycle license to drive it, but I don't know how you'd register a bike like this.

Anyway, long story short, anyone know what the rules are?

trinik7597

you just said what the rules are :laugh: really depends on the officer whether you would have a 1 mile push or a ticket though :thumbsup:

Touché, just wondering if anyone has had a personal experience. The it's not really a scooter or a moped, so I'm not sure what rules apply. I know UncleCrook wants his $.02 for driving on his roads, but again, because of its size, didn't know if it would be looked over.

Last edited:
Ok well im in cali but similar circumstances i live adout the same distance from my job as well. The cops are all cool but one ,hes a real hard a$$ hes actually in the middle of a nasty divorce .but what im getting at is dont find one in the middle of a divorce and you should be fine i try and ride a different bike to work everyday its fun . What part of texas u live in i was born in conroe so texas is my state

2SlickNick

I too live about a mile from work and have considered riding my DB to work.

I do however push my limit and ride all through town. I probably put a few miles on my DB when I ride.

When my daughter and I go on rides to stick to side streets and residential neighborhoods ( never speeding - just cruising ) . When I go on solo rides I will follow cars on the 35 mph roads, I will zoom up and down side streets, but when I go smack in the middle of town, I ride on the sidewalks at about 5mph and always give bikes and walkers the right of way. I have passed a few cops like that and never got any heck- yet...

But if one catches me zooming well who knows then....

less than a mile? id risk it. if you see a cop looking hard or pull a u turn just hop off and start pushing. stay in the grass if you can

cxbra

Less than a mile, you could probably pull it off. If you get busted, you can just point to your work and the cop will probably just let you ride on. If its a nice mini, dont risk it. If its a beater bike, do it!

Took her for a ride to the gas station tonight (about halfway between home and work)... And I have to say that riding it to work may not be an option... Open road with a small bike is not a fun experience...

When I'm riding in my home town in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the cops don't seem to give a flying heck what you ride and I ride my bike every single day, all over. Down here in Wisconsin though, complete different story. I've had the lights flashed at me, arms waving out the window slowing me down. Couple weeks ago I finally got pulled over by a lady cop. She proceeded to feed me the whole list of BS as to why my bike's illegal and all the laws I'm breaking. Made me walk it home. Now I'm afraid to even start the dang thing because my neighbors are such F@(K heads.

capguncowboy

I ride mine in the neighborhood all the time, but I'd dare say that if I ever ventured out onto the main roads, the fuzz would have something to say about it. There isn't much real crime in this area, so they've got nothing better to do. It's really too bad, because all of the people here would probably drive them all the time if they allowed it. This is purely speculation, but I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

When I'm riding in my home town in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the cops don't seem to give a flying heck what you ride and I ride my bike every single day, all over. Down here in Wisconsin though, complete different story. I've had the lights flashed at me, arms waving out the window slowing me down. Couple weeks ago I finally got pulled over by a lady cop. She proceeded to feed me the whole list of BS as to why my bike's illegal and all the laws I'm breaking. Made me walk it home. Now I'm afraid to even start the dang thing because my neighbors are such F@(K heads.
I cant imagine the cops in my neighborhood care... I guess ill just ride it around until I get the cherries.

I ride mine all over the countryside on the back roads. Certainly not legal, but it's a risk vs reward situation. Low risk, high reward, go for it. In a city I would think its high risk, medium reward and probably would stay close to the house.