Doodlebug racing video...

Here it is, me and my buddy raced our doodlbugs. Specs below. I'm trying to talk him into joining... he says he will, we'll see.

YouTube - Slow5oh vs. Skeeveman - Doodlebug Racing Event #1

Slow5oh:
2009 DB30
6.5 GX200 Clone
No Governor
Custom Header
Modified Stock Carb
Modified Stock Air box
(better known as Super Stock)

Skeeveman:
2009 DB30
6.5 GX200 Clone
Removed Govorner
Custom Header
24MM Mikuni Carburetor
K&N Super High Flow Filter
(better known as Pro Stock model)

The first run was to the blue trash can on the left before the white mailbox. This was 476 FT (.09mi).
The second run was all the way back to the cameraman. This was 836 FT (.15mi).

tomsprops

That looked really close ! So who won ? I like the two yout's style ! :thumbsup:
Skip the front brake and just Upgrade you rear disc to a real hydrolic disc and keep pushing !

weve actually been talking about putting hyd disc on the front AND rear. front brakes would be handy out on the trails. It was too close to call, on the first race i was watching to my left to see if i was ahead or behind him, and couldnt tell. On the second racing i wasnt looking to the side because i didnt want to risk hitting the cameraman.

So the Mikuni Carburetor is a waste of money? :clown:

We race our Bonanza with 5HP briigs against the DB 6.5 and it's about the same as your vid.

Well I wouldn't say it was a "waste" of money, lol. The DB with the stock carb had a bit more low/low-mid torque than the one with the one with the mikuni. The one with the mikuni had a lot more top end. It will float the valves in no time compared to the stock carb DB, so we know it's got the RPM advantage. I would say with a bit more experimenting with the carb, and a set of valve springs, that would really make it shine.

BTW, there is only about 10 lbs race weight difference between the two of us.

Well I wouldn't say it was a "waste" of money, lol. The DB with the stock carb had a bit more low/low-mid torque than the one with the one with the mikuni. The one with the mikuni had a lot more top end. It will float the valves in no time compared to the stock carb DB, so we know it's got the RPM advantage. I would say with a bit more experimenting with the carb, and a set of valve springs, that would really make it shine.

BTW, there is only about 10 lbs race weight difference between the two of us.
yeah, after discussing the results some, i think weve come to the conclusion that the first step in correcting the low end torque problem is gona be jetting. the main jet is WAY too lean. another gremlin we may have to work with is fuel PSI since as of now its gravity feeding from the stock tank.

looked like a close race.
i need to take my db out of the box and order up that motor plate.
no need to order a motor plate man, the two in the video are both mounted to the same plate as the 2.8. just set the bike on a block of wood so that its sitting level, take the 2.8 off, set the 6.5 on and line it up so that the sprocket on the clutch is lined up with the rear sprocket, and mark your holes. drill them out and bolt it down. also note, through trial and error we found that turning the outside portion of the clutch around so that the sprocket is between the motor and clutch allows the engine to be mounted almost perfectly centered, which really helps the weight distribution on the bike.

I should note, i say we alot, but most if not all of the fabrication and figuring out on these builds were done by skeeveman. im just the tool bitch.

no need to order a motor plate man, the two in the video are both mounted to the same plate as the 2.8. just set the bike on a block of wood so that its sitting level, take the 2.8 off, set the 6.5 on and line it up so that the sprocket on the clutch is lined up with the rear sprocket, and mark your holes. drill them out and bolt it down. also note, through trial and error we found that turning the outside portion of the clutch around so that the sprocket is between the motor and clutch allows the engine to be mounted almost perfectly centered, which really helps the weight distribution on the bike.

I should note, i say we alot, but most if not all of the fabrication and figuring out on these builds were done by skeeveman. im just the tool bitch.
i'd rather spend $40 for the plate than an hour making sure shit is lined up.

i like to drink when i work on mini bikes so the margin for error is raised quite a bit. :doah:

i'd rather spend $40 for the plate than an hour making sure shit is lined up.

i like to drink when i work on mini bikes so the margin for error is raised quite a bit. :doah:
i need to change professions and start fabbing up minibike parts to sell then, at 40 bucks a pop id make a killin, lol.

I personally don't mind spending the time to save a buck, plus I love to tinker, slow5oh can attest to that. But.. I really don't think there's a problem at all with somebody buying the kit from one of the members, keeps the hobby alive for everybody!

I personally don't mind spending the time to save a buck, plus I love to tinker, slow5oh can attest to that. But.. I really don't think there's a problem at all with somebody buying the kit from one of the members, keeps the hobby alive for everybody!
I wasnt suggesting that buying the kit is bad, i was merely pointing out that with less than an hours worth of work the same result can be had for free if the owner preferred labor over spending money on parts.

Skeeveman hurry up and tune that carb and you will be leaving your friend in the dust!!
damnit man, don tell him that. I was leaving him earlier in the day and he did some tuning and started keeping with me, i havent ordered my new carb yet, he dont need no more tuning till i do, lol.

You still ain't got a chance with the new chain tensioner... like I said, fixes a LOT of the bucking issues on the bottom end that I was having. Now it's nothing but chatter!