Doubling up tires

What do you guys think on doubling up my old go kart tires on some smaller or same size tire? My old tires are worn down and one has a big rock gash. So my plan is to buy same size tire and double that one or buying a small at size to fit in the old ones. Current tire size 20x10-8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Not worth the abuse to do it. Plus a big safety issue comes up. Tires have air pressure, lots of it. Think of a tire as a bomb waiting to go off. I used to manage a tire shop, saw several tires go boom. Put new tires on, keep the correct amount of air in them and live long and prosper!

so you want to put your old tires inside the new ones? Thats the strangest thing iv heard in a while. I guess if you cut off the tread and put it in it would help with punctures but using the entire tire in there would be a mess dont think that would work too well and wouldnt really benefit anything. not to mention a nightmare to install and remove with the extra bead. If I had to remove a tire like that Id probably die of laughter anyway

My plan is to buy new tires and have the old ones wrapped in the new ones. I run my gk on street roads so traction isn't s problem. I want to do this so my new tires can last. My plan is to cut the bead/side wall from the old tire so it can fit in the new one.

I don't see a benefit it's not gonna make it last any longer nor will it work if tubes are required the smallest thing can pop a tube for example new tires have inspection stickers they are smaller than a dime and they will pop your tube so what do you think a extra chunk of rubber will do I currently manage a tire shop and people stick weird stuff in their tires to try to make them puncher resistant I've seen newspaper old carpet clothes and yes even old tire tread it doesn't help if your running on the street and want them to last longer try finding a 8 inch tire that is rated for the street some tent trailers have 8 inch rims and they are even speed rated

Also no tubes would be required if my plan works. Tomorrow I'm buying the new tires and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

That is an interesting idea but I don't think it will help the new tires last any longer, it may even have the opposite effect. I want to give you encouragement on this but I agree with the others here that you're best bet may be to follow the "rules" and buy a set of nice new tubes and tires, or even good used tires. I think the extra weight and awkward shape of this double tire on wheel setup will mess up the bikes performance to some degree, and could even be dangerous as someone mentioned.

It might have a purpose in a mad max style apocalyptic world where one had to work with what they had and needed tires to last longer... but even then they would need to be modified in some way to even work at all. Wheels are not designed to hold two tires. I assume theres a reason for that, it would serve no purpose....

Maybe you could fill or coat a set of tires with some sort of liquid rubber compound or even something else to make them more durable.

Good luck anyhow!

I don't use slime,but may be a good idea to put an innertube and fill it w slime..that way it don't get all over the wheel inside..hmmm i wonder..strokes beard and gives most intelligent look i got..:huh:

I don't use slime,but may be a good idea to put an innertube and fill it w slime..that way it don't get all over the wheel inside..hmmm i wonder..strokes beard and gives most intelligent look i got..:huh:
So...inner tube, old tire, AND new tire on one rim? Also, I never use slime. I've had three valve stems get gummed up with the sh*t. It looks for imperfections in the tire and if there are none, I guess the stem is the next best one.:shrug:

So...inner tube, old tire, AND new tire on one rim? Also, I never use slime. I've had three valve stems get gummed up with the sh*t. It looks for imperfections in the tire and if there are none, I guess the stem is the next best one.:shrug:
No..one tire with an innertube with slime only in the innertube..i don't use slime either..I'm just pondering..lol..like i said..still stroking beard..:laugh: crazy talk...i put a plug if punctured and buy a new tire within a short bit of time ..just to get a little more wear out of it

Last edited:
My question is how is putting an old tire inside the new one going to make the new one last longer??? I am also confused how the old tire would fit inside the new tire if they are the same size??? Finally I would be concerned about a balance issue in this set up. Good luck I guess!!!

Very bad idea. It will have a serious detrimental effect on tire life. The inner tire moving around will wear out the outter tire way earlier than normal. There is zero positive to be gained, lots of bad.