dreaded snow

This question is about snow removal options . Of course there is the scoop shovel for a low price for a good Ames Poly Hog feed scoop for about $ 27.00
That's easy but how well do small electric shovels do?
And what is bad or good about gas powered single and double stage machines?
Now remember this is for use in Portland , Oregon not Quebec, Canada
Steve :scooter:

joekd

Living in Ne wEngland my whoel life her eis my opinion

Spend the money, get a 2 stage blower and a couple cheap shovels (one pusher, one std snow)

For light stuff shovel/push it away by hand. Anything heavy or wet you will appreciate the 2 stage, single stages just jam up the chute and are an overall pain

Also when the plow leaves a huge pile at the end of the driveway you will like the fact that a 2 stage will go right through it

i live in the SF Bay Area so we don't really get snow here.

this happened sunday night/monday morning this week. i've lived here for 31 years and have never seen snow like that. Mt. Diablo (mountain in the pics) usually gets a bit of snow at the top during the winter. snow anywhere else around here just usually doesn't happen.

the links have different pics. there are some pretty pics in them.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mayorofclaycord/CLAYCORDSNOW2#slideshow/5412674889647227138

Picasa Web Albums - Mayor of CLAYCORD - CLAYCORD SNOW...

Last edited:
Last winters snow was pretty crazy in portland, You should fabricate a snow plow for a mini bike, just make sure you got enough ponies to get the job done. :smile:

delray

steve i live in the state of wisconsin and we do sometimes get alot of snow. for example yesterday i believe we recieve somewhere around 18 inch. i now use most of the time a 8.5 ft plow mounted on a real full size blazer. but i still sometimes use my snowblowers and had found that 2 stage with 7hp or more and 24-26inch wide will do everything real easy. there is one single stage snowblower that will keep up with a the 2 stage units. toro makes 6.5-7hp 2cycle snowblower that will through the snow 25ft+ and even yesterday with all that snow it still could keep up. i know couple people that use them and i have use them in the past too and they just scream when it comes to pushing snow around and they are much lighter to move around then a 2 stage. not trying to push the toro, but they are real good little units.

Thanks for the input. I don't know if I will ever get on but will be looking on local Craigslist for a bargain. The shovel is a no brainier and will happen this weekend. The plow will be a family share item . Steve :xmas-smiley-016:

Thanks for the input. I don't know if I will ever get on but will be looking on local Craigslist for a bargain. The shovel is a no brainier and will happen this weekend. The plow will be a family share item . Steve :xmas-smiley-016:
This was a decision we made last year. How we came to our conclusion was based on the volume of snow that we had to move. There is a website national data climate center that shows average snowfalls. If you know how heavy the snow is in your area should come up with a pretty good estimate of how much snow you're moving. Some machines are rated for example by the number of lbs or tons of snow that it can move per hour. Find one that fits the bill backed by solid reviews should get you in the ball park.

have kids . i live in calgary and we are really getting it now ,citys snow removal budget is gone already . here they don,t even clean the residental side streets ever , you just live with it .i havent shovled snow in years .best i can tell you is suck it up .:wink:

for the light stuff like under 2" we have a 4' wood shovel made with a 1x6 for a blade. works great. i was thinking of putting a small plow on my track bike eventually :)

Living in VT, i see a lot of snow, and the most affordable, and best thing i can recommend is a gravely walk behind tractor, you can get snow-blowers and blades for them, and they can be used to in the summer too for brush-hogging, mowing, tilling, and a bunch of other useful things.

heres what im talking about, they come in a few different models, we have a 12hp and 7hp, both are powerful enough.

we have a gravely we usto have two but sold off everything but the one and its mower attatchment. The snow blower was a beast and single stage it didnt work that well. Were probrobly going to sell it in the spring we dont use it anymore

I use my 520-H Wheelhorse tractor with the snow blade and tire chains, I have been thinking of getting the snowblower attachment to go with it, And as back up I have my Grandpa's 1968 Bolens 1050 tube frame trator with snowblade and attachments he bought new and I got after he died. Here"s a picture of it with the blade off of it this last summer. Not bad for a 1968. They do not build Tractors like that anymore.

I agree with Delray! After 18 inches of snow, I was very happy with my craftsman 2 stage. it has a 5 horse brigs and it just goes and goes!!!

delray

WOW klapool hwy 19 bad going into sun prairie first couple days and side streets. had to have the hubs lock in. i bet that 2 stage paid off good for you in the 18 inch of heavy snow.:thumbsup: how did that 5hp hold up? sometimes find that 5hp is not enough, unless you have 4or5 speeds forward. so you can gear it down and then you can let it work into the heavy snow at a lower speed.