Drill Bits

Sharp as a Tack

Don't give up!!!! That's how you learn, by screwing up and doing it all over again. I went through two sets of nice bits before I found the instructions and figured out what to do. If your messing with mini's you have to be somewhat mechanically inclined. Go and buy you some new bits and when you get bored and get some extra cash try out a bit sharpener. once you figure it out it will save you some money. Money that you can put toward the minibikes that your working on.
Is nice as your sharping system is it is something that your must have the right stone for your grinder and the type of base mount for the jig to mount in. And when done take off that special wheel and store it till the next time the box of bits is not doing the job.
Steve:scooter:

Just buy some good bits, and take care of them with oil as you drill.
Remember, you get what you pay for. Cheap price = cheap bits.
i have to say not all the time on the drill bits that cheep is junk .the bits i buy are real cheep ones from a surplus store they are a cobalt/steel. they are better then any of the brand name stuff i have seen around here i have only gotten one bad bit in like the 8 years i have been getting them . i am bad for busting bits and burning them up . the bits are some mill shop grade tools and there cheep . so look around at the local surplus supply for them you may find them there too .

jeep4me

EZ - I'll drop off some tool and die grade bits for you. They're letter sizes but will work for what you're doing. Keep'em, brake'em do what you want with them. they are plenty sharp and a very good grade of steel. I got them from a buddy for fixing a couple of snowblowers for him. So now I'll pass them on to you. I think I only used four or five of them.

EZ - I'll drop off some tool and die grade bits for you. They're letter sizes but will work for what you're doing. Keep'em, brake'em do what you want with them. they are plenty sharp and a very good grade of steel. I got them from a buddy for fixing a couple of snowblowers for him. So now I'll pass them on to you. I think I only used four or five of them.
Cool, thanks Steve, Your a Great Guy. :thumbsup::thumbsup: :smile:

I sharpen my drill bits on a belt sander, and it works great.:thumbsup: I allways start with a small pilot hole then step up.(take your time,this is not a race)Try to keep your bit straight (use a drill press when you can) Drill at a slow speed so you are cutting and not burning the bit up,this is a must with stainless.If you burn up a bit in a hole you will have a hard time drilling that hole,and may need to grind it (and that sucks:doah:) allways use a drill bit lube

I sharpen my drill bits on a belt sander, and it works great.:thumbsup: I allways start with a small pilot hole then step up.(take your time,this is not a race)Try to keep your bit straight (use a drill press when you can) Drill at a slow speed so you are cutting and not burning the bit up,this is a must with stainless.If you burn up a bit in a hole you will have a hard time drilling that hole,and may need to grind it (and that sucks:doah:) allways use a drill bit lube
Thanks Allen. :thumbsup: :smile:

I was very impressed with the 'Drill Doctor' sharpener. It was easy to use and it kept my bits sharp. I also drill slow and use cutting oil. Don't let the bits get hot. When drilling stubborn holes, I will have to sharpen the bit a couple times.

I have been having so much problems trying to drill just one frickin hole in steel. Sometimes, no problem. Other times, problem. I've tried alittle bit of oil, but that don't work. Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of drill bits to use to drill into steel, or even a drill bit Sharpener? Thanks. :shrug:
SHARP ones... Drill bits get dull and need sharpened like anything. My dad works for a place that does stainless steel only and get a bunch of drill bits beyoond what they want to save and usually they still work good.. But a good sharpening always fixes them..

unless it's some kind of Horrible Freight POS drill bits made of lead or some crap that just can not be a drill bit because it's crap.. :hammer: Good drill bit, semi sharp.. to real sharp..

colbolt drill bit..the best...sometimes sears has them,being sold for only one at a timeor you can check out ebay...stay away from chinees bits...only japaneese or of corse made in the usa...but they have to be colbolt...you can buy an index and have it shipped for under 30.00