Drilled my sprocket

I wanted to be able to see the shiny new Astro mag wheels I got so I drilled my sprocket with five 1 3/4" holes.
Has anyone else done this and can I expect it to hold up to trail riding?
Also, has anyone polished these wheels? How do they look when polished?
Since the picture was taken I have mounted another bearing in the center of the sprocket and I am going to run a spacer between the bearings.
Are you supposed to run a spacer between the bearings inside the wheel like on a motorcycle? If so, where do ya get them?
One more thing..... can ya get a 1/2" ID - 5/8" OD sleeve to adapt these 5/8" bearings to a 1/2" axle?
I know it would be easy enough to swap bearings, but I see my Sears Roper was done this way from the factory and it would allow me to swap the wheels to other minibikes quickly.

Motra

I like what you did to the sprocket, the holes look very evenly spaced. I think it'll hold up just fine. How did you drill the holes?
As for the spacer, a lot of minibikes didn't use them. Instead they just snugged down a nylock nut without putting too much side load on the bearings. Personally I'd prefer to use an inside spacer and tighten the axle more securely. You'll probably have to make one. You can get 5/8" I.D. pipe and cut to length. The tricky part is getting the exact measurement and cutting the ends perfectly square. Better done by a machine shop if you're not equiped.
I don't know about the sleeve spacer you're asking about, you'd have to check with a bearing supplier.

I like what you did to the sprocket, the holes look very evenly spaced. I think it'll hold up just fine. How did you drill the holes?
Just used a little cheap Harbor freight drill press and a hole saw.
I used a compass to find the hole centers, centerpunched them, drilled a small pilot hole and then finished it off with the hole saw.
I need to deburr the holes a little bit, but it still feels plenty strong when I try to flex it. Gonna use stainless buttonhead Torx bolts and Nylocks on the other end to hold it all together.

I don't know why everyone uses such larger O.D. washers on the mounting bolts.
That was just a mock up using allthread and nuts and washers I had laying around. I'll look for smaller diameter washers before the final assembly. I'm trying to keep all the hardware stainless.

looks great Steve you did a nice job laying out those holes they look factory.

they have 1/2 x 5/8 bronze bushings in the OldMiniBikes :

http://OldMiniBikes.com/1-2-x-3-4-Bronze-Bushing.html

that sprocket will be plenty strong enough....I would try to measure up that inside spacer and make one it's really the correct way to do it.....if you can't find one the exact length let me know I'll make one up for you

that's what Yellowhand would do :thumbsup:

Last edited:
That looks great. Just wondering where did you get the sprocket?
I looked at all of OldMiniBikes's and the only one they carry is for a drum brake setup.

That looks great. Just wondering where did you get the sprocket?
I looked at all of OldMiniBikes's and the only one they carry is for a drum brake setup.
I got the sprocket from oldschoolminibike.com.
Heres a link:
New 60t Zinc Plated Steel Sprocket 5 Bolt Pattern w/5/16 holes #35 Chain for Astro Wheel - Old School Mini Bike Parts & Stuff

I polished my Astros..... the pix don't do them justice.
I found one of those perimeter sprocket mount Astros so have a drilled sprocket setup and a perimeter mount setup now too. As soon as I figure out a good way to cut out the center of this sprocket, I'll mount it on the perimeter of the new wheel and the mag will be totally unobstructed.