Electric motor wiring ???

I have an old electric motor, Dayton split phase, Model 4k887 Type RB, 1/4 HP, 115 volts, 5 AMPS. The old power cord was fraded and in real bad shape. The old cord had 2 braided wires, no color sheathing, just wrapped in some funky thread stuff. One wire went to one pole on top in pic, the other wire went to the other top pole in pic. The was no power cord wire attached to the bottom pole in the pic. I bought a new power cord with one white wire, one green wire, and one black wire. I connected a few different combinations of wire placement, and each time nothing happened. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what color wire might go where? Thank you very much.

Neck

Growing up is optional
Usually, when a motor is strictly 110v green is ground black is "hot" and white is common. I would OHM it between the black and white to see if it is open or shorted though. If it has a capacitor there is a centrifugal switch on one end that will also need to be checked.

Neck, what does " I would OHM it between the black and white to see if it is open or shorted though." mean ? Does it mean put the balck and white together ? Does it matter which top pole I connect the wire to, or does it only reverse direction ? Thank you for your reply.

Bikerscum

The green wire goes to a screw on the outside of the case, like the one holding the cover plate on. It's just a ground wire, powers nothing. The other 2 wires go to the posts you took the originals from. In which position I don't know, but you only have 2 choices.

Neck

Growing up is optional
Does the brown insulator have the letters L1 and L2 on it? that's where the black and white wires would go, and like Mr. Scum says the green wire would go to the case screw.

Last edited:
black goes to copper colored post, white goes to silver colored post. Green goes to motor case. Really it will work either way but its best to wire everything the same. If you tried everything then you have internal motor issues and those need to be addressed. Look for burnt windings, bad capacitors, or rusted points on the governor switch.

AAAAHHHHHH thought for sure I had it with all the great help. Connected Black to L1, White to L2, and Green to a case screw. Nothing. The new power cord I bought is rated at/for 15 AMPS, 125 Volts. The motor is 5 AMPS, 115 Volts. Does this matter ? Thank you.

Neck

Growing up is optional
That cord should be plenty adequate, The internal start switch may have a problem, or the capacitor may be bad.