Engine mounted at angle?

I was wondering what the purpose is of mounting engines at an angle like on some minis, like on some rupps, Scat cats or bird nighthawks. Just for looks? Also does it effect the oiling?

Back in the day we used to cut the kuhneutson valve into the shape of a 4 leaf clover which oddly muliplied the horse power by a factor of 8.
(so a 3.5hp would put out 28hp but the engine had a half life after that)

With the right gearing you could outrun police interceptors.....man the look on those cops faces when you pulled away from them was priceless.

EDIT:eek:nce you clover the kuhneutson valve you really had to hang on or else you might lose your lucky charms. :eek:
:rolleyes: :001_tt2:

I think they angled the engines for :
space saving.
for a possible slight increase in performance from not having to lift the piston straight up.(I doubt this would make a difference)
and for style/looks.

Last edited:

danc9

Some forward inclination if fine, don't remember how many degrees you can go. The oil if fine. Some like the looks of the forward slant, and some use it for clearance issues.

DAN

Back in the day we used to cut the kuhneutson valve into the shape of a 4 leaf clover which oddly muliplied the horse power by a factor of 8.
(so a 3.5hp would put out 28hp but the engine had a half life after that)

With the right gearing you could outrun police interceptors.....man the look on those cops faces when you pulled away from them was priceless.

EDIT:eek:nce you clover the kuhneutson valve you really had to hang on or else you might lose your lucky charms. :eek:
:rolleyes: :001_tt2:

Whew Are you a story teller by trade or is it just a hobby ??? lol

Last edited:
WOAH WOAH WOAH.....you've never heard of clover leafing the kuhneutson valve and the massive power gains by doing it, must be something that has been lost over the years.:laugh:

When someone starts it off so well I just had to run with it.

:no: Actually I'm just practising because if they give me the foreman job I'll need to be a proficient BS'er.