Exhaust question on GC160 engines

Honda make a vertical cylinder OHC engines such as the GC160 5 HP, 5.2 HP and 6 HP. These engines exhaust out of the right hand side of the engine. If used on a mini bike, the exhaust is blowing forward towards the handle bars.
Is/are there aftermarket exhaust pipes that redirect the exhaust to the rear of the mini bike?
Thank you.

Never seen one, but I'm sure you'll have to make your own custom exhaust. Might want to make one similiar to a motorcycle exhaust. Curve it down and under the frame and put a RLV muffler on it?

Last edited:
there are no aftermarket performance parts for this engine. I have 2 of em. I made up the exhaust from "black pipe" and wrapped it in Header wrap. came out ok. Use the search option, I know some guys have made up some really nice headers for the GC series.
The late, great Yellow Hand did and awesome job on one of these GC's, check it out.

i have it on a Grand Prix. its the 6hp model. Lots of torque, starts one pull, very reliable (like honda's in general) and pulls great.

the cons: have to fab an exhaust, throttle hook up has to be made, and the engine can be Tall for some frames. Other than that, great engine, i really like them. I think they are under-rated in the minibike world.

heres mine. just some black pipe, elbow fittings, and header wrap. not pretty, but looks good on the rat rod bike.

Last edited:
Honda GC engine

Actually Jake the one that we traded went on the" Old Dirty Bastard" and Neck made the flange for the one on My Manco. I am pleased with my GC 160 engines and the exhaust does help out some.

Big Jim

I am going to use a GC on my Trail Ram.
What did you guys use for a header flange? I have an RLV for a clone but the port is centered on th GC's.
Any messing with the jet? I have a filter and header planned.

Last edited:
It was set up for a pressure washer and had the wrong setup. I did rig something up while waiting for the correct throttle assembly to show up.

The remote throttle bracket is Honda part number 16500-ZL8-800. It is now on the kart, but I don't have a pic of it.

It has the clamp for the cable housing but does not have the clamp for the cable itself. I used a spare clamp and E-clip from a DB. The bracket also retains the throttle controlled kill switch, but I removed it and ran separate wires to a kill switch by the steering wheel.

Also, the exhaust flange is the same one that was on the 110cc chinese quad. Did have to cut it off and turn it so I could better route the exhaust.

Last edited:
i welded a pipe right on the muffler. looped around and kicked it out at the back . and made a shield out of an old stainless pool ladder. the throttle was tricky had to make a drop down bracket that bolts on with the valve cover