Fat Metal Flake Rupp Rider

Hi,
Here's a basket-case, early 1971 Rupp Roadster-2 that I lathered in old school .015" blue flake and clear coats. I'll post a finished picture soon.

I'm also working on an early Trail-Horse with some interesting rear wheel mounts that give plenty of ground clearance. I have not seen them on other THs.

Smallbore

Hi,
Here's a basket-case, early 1971 Rupp Roadster-2 that I lathered in old school .015" blue flake
Looks Good ! :thumbsup: Hey have you tried the "dry flake" method before. Ed Roth inc. sells a deal called the Bazooka that just sprays the flake only. Add a little retarder to your clear, shoot it, then hit it with your flake. After the clear dries, blow off the excess flake (which can be recycled) then bury the flake with the clear topcoats. The idea makes sence as you dont build up as much clear material laying down the flake. I have not tried it yet but i picked up a gun yesterday. Theres another company that sells one called the "flake buster" but at $149.00 i dont think so... The Roth gun sells for $129.00 and that is still too much ! I looked around and bought an automotive Under Coat gun and it is the exact same gun Roth sells except the nozzle and suction tube has to be cut to length. It cost me $26.00 local and i have vitamin bottles that fit right on the bottom of the gun. Theres a guy on eBay that gets $14.99 and shipping for the same undercoat gun. Its pouring rain here now on the Left coast, but I`ll shoot some samples this weekend after it warms up and give a report on this "new" old school method. Take a look at these Pics. Only $100.00 difference between the 2 guns ! It must be the Roth stickers....LOL :eek:ut:

I've had a over priced flake buster for years,comes from a company called Old School Flake.It works great very little air pressure needed.Slow drying clear or I've also used House of Kolor marbilizer because of its slow drying time to spray the flake on.Keeps the film build down and gives the bass boat look.Stay flaky.:thumbsup:

Love the flake too. Years ago when I painted my wifes trike (this was before the power of the internet) I used craft store flake, and it was so thick I ended up putting about 30 coats of clear on it to get it covered. I was using spray can crap and it took forever, but the end result is AWESOME. The body is gold flake with a translucent red on top, and with the clear in the sun it looks like blood, and about a mile deep. I plan on painting my '68 Vista cruiser in emerald green flake, and this time I'll use the right stuff.