FIBERGLASS Cat Chainguard & FIBERGLASS Switch Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully understand supply/demand, but $325.00 for a 2” x 4” pc of stamped metal is ridiculous. And I know the naysayers will jump on that comment w/ Try finding one, or That’s to be expected from eBay. Truth is, there are members on this site, (not necessary to mention names), that have listed this same piece for just as much; if not more, in the past. Yah, I know the price reflects the rarity of the part, but that shouldn’t be the impetus for ripping the prospective buyer off.

bbiggs54

Yeah most Cat stuff is expensive, and getting worse by the day. As long traffic will bare it, they'll ask it. Don't look for changes anytime soon, just look for it in all the other places besides eBay. Here's a weird example. A few years ago I found some one selling an old trashed Cat 400x on Craigslist , that was spray bombed, garbage seat etc., and it had the switch plate and switch still on it. I offered him a hundred bucks for the switch and plate and he could keep the bike. He said okay, I brought the necessary tools to his house, removed it and the rest was history (only thing I could figure is that he needed the money and could still sell the bike for his asking price). True story. FYI when you do find the plate you're still going to need the bracket that retains it and the switch to the frame.

Yeah most Cat stuff is expensive, and getting worse by the day. As long traffic will bare it, they'll ask it. Don't look for changes anytime soon, just look for it in all the other places besides eBay. Here's a weird example. A few years ago I found some one selling an old trashed Cat 400x on Craigslist , that was spray bombed, garbage seat etc., and it had the switch plate and switch still on it. I offered him a hundred bucks for the switch and plate and he could keep the bike. He said okay, I brought the necessary tools to his house, removed it and the rest was history (only thing I could figure is that he needed the money and could still sell the bike for his asking price). True story. FYI when you do find the plate you're still going to need the bracket that retains it and the switch to the frame.
Spot on you are sir. Add the bracket, fastener, wire, toggle switch, let alone the chrome plating and repop on/ off decal and ur into the kill switch for 500

FunWithStuff

Yep that's also another option for @MiniBike Paul. Just realize those are reproduced switch plates and not originals. He said he tried looking but couldn't find "metal originals" so I don't know if he's looking for a genuine Cat plate or just one to use.

If he doesn't need an original Cat Plate and just one to use than that's the right one. But if he wants an original one made by HPE Muskin for a restoration, survivor, or just to have an original than he has another option as well. It all depends on his preferences. I don't think anyone's made fiberglass repops of switch plates as well so a metal is all he can get.

I fully understand supply/demand, but $325.00 for a 2” x 4” pc of stamped metal is ridiculous. And I know the naysayers will jump on that comment w/ Try finding one, or That’s to be expected from eBay. Truth is, there are members on this site, (not necessary to mention names), that have listed this same piece for just as much; if not more, in the past. Yah, I know the price reflects the rarity of the part, but that shouldn’t be the impetus for ripping the prospective buyer off.
Most members will not sell their prized parts, some will trade for a part they are looking for. It is also about who you know and what type of relationship you have with some people. Nature of the hobby.
I prefer dealing with people i have forged relationships with over the years.

FunWithStuff

FunWithStuff

Most members will not sell their prized parts, some will trade for a part they are looking for. It is also about who you know and what type of relationship you have with some people. Nature of the hobby.
I prefer dealing with people i have forged relationships with over the years.
And to add on to that honestly if I put an item for sale and the first thing you do is come and complain about the price guess what? That's an automatic deal breaker for me and you're not getting the part nor will I be open to offers after such a comment. If others are willing to buy it for the price I sell it for your opinion means nothing.

First impressions are everything even though I may or may not see/deal with you again after selling an item. Like @bbiggs54 said if you're looking for something you need to be smart, patient, and professional and one day you'll probably get what you want for a price that works for you.

You can't always expect something to be the "price" that you want it to be. Reality works very differently.

And to add on to that honestly if I put an item for sale and the first thing you do is come and complain about the price guess what? That's an automatic deal breaker for me and you're not getting the part nor will I be open to offers after such a comment. If others are willing to buy it for the price I sell it for your opinion means nothing.

First impressions are everything even though I may or may not see/deal with you again after selling an item. Like @bbiggs54 said if you're looking for something you need to be smart, patient, and professional and one day you'll probably get what you want for a price that works for you.

You can't always expect something to be the "price" that you want it to be. Reality works very differently.
From what I’ve read & witnessed of your interaction w/ other members, you are EXTREMELY helpful & EXTREMELY knowledgeable. Couldn’t ever see you price gouging anyone for any part or piece. Maybe you’ll think this statement is korny and I don’t know you personally or of your religious beliefs. IMO we are all here to help each other whenever, wherever, & however we can.

Geeze, it's like the wild west in here. Don't you guys know there's no BS'ing in the classifieds?:D

Maybe a moderator could move all of this to the Muskin Cat collectability thread.

Paul, you never specified which length cover you need. If I were you I'd jump on 45t's offer, as he said it can always be cut down.
You building bikes again? Would love to see what you are working on these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.