Figured Id show off my new monster carb

I got this big ole 28 Mikuni from Member 125ccCrazy, and finally got some time to play with it,

Its not on my good motor, or my bike, But it is on the stand with my ratty old test motor, I bolted her up, and pulled her, the plug was wet, So itll draw fuel,:thumbsup:

Only problem is, my test motor seems to have lost spark over winter.:thumbdown: oh well, Ive got a new coil to bolt up later

Hopefully I can get it bolted on the bike, and running sweet before August.... Ive even got a few more goodies enroute in the mail....

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The only bad part about the mikuni is finding out the jetting your gonna need. Once you get a good medium you should run good and smooth.

125ccCrazy

Looks good Jay, definately let me know how it works out for ya...

I'm gonna try this vm22 on my flatty, I reworked my horstman intake to bolt the 22 on, intake turned out good, now to finish putting it together..

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
This is a secret I have found out over the years. Smaller carbs are easier to tune then bigger carbs. But if your get the correct size per motor size, and mods the perfect size carb will make the most power. Going to big will cause a bog, this will come from the loss in velocity. Having the correct size, or smaller carb the velocity stays high and strong.

125ccCrazy

This is a secret I have found out over the years. Smaller carbs are easier to tune then bigger carbs. But if your get the correct size per motor size, and mods the perfect size carb will make the most power. Going to big will cause a bog, this will come from the loss in velocity. Having the correct size, or smaller carb the velocity stays high and strong.
agreed too big and you loose power.... a general rule I try to follow to a point is not to go bigger than the intake valve... if you have a 24mm intake dont go with a 26 or 28 ect carb, if your gonna build the engine to need a carb that big then increase the valve size......With the minor mods on my flathead I should be able to tweak the vm22 to work pretty good, if it turns out the 22 isnt enough I'll step it up to a 24...

Of course you could have a stock engine with a 24mm intake and throw a 24mm flatslide on it and be too much since the compression, cam, ect isnt sufficent to pull and burn that much..

I've seen guys throw a monster cam and carb in an engine with nothing else done and wonder why it turns slower et's than it did stock LOL... A friend did that in high school with his nova ss, he was running like mid 14's all stock, he put a cam in it and it slowed to 15's.. he was so pizzed... too much cam and not enough of everything else to make it work right..

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
agreed too big and you loose power.... a general rule I try to follow to a point is not to go bigger than the intake valve... if you have a 24mm intake dont go with a 26 or 28 ect carb, if your gonna build the engine to need a carb that big then increase the valve size......With the minor mods on my flathead I should be able to tweak the vm22 to work pretty good, if it turns out the 22 isnt enough I'll step it up to a 24...

Of course you could have a stock engine with a 24mm intake and throw a 24mm flatslide on it and be too much since the compression, cam, ect isnt sufficent to pull and burn that much..

I've seen guys throw a monster cam and carb in an engine with nothing else done and wonder why it turns slower et's than it did stock LOL... A friend did that in high school with his nova ss, he was running like mid 14's all stock, he put a cam in it and it slowed to 15's.. he was so pizzed... too much cam and not enough of everything else to make it work right..
Yeah that sound like what a lot of guys out here do with there motors. Everyone runs 26mm carbs with stock valves, and a 22mm Animal intake. It's crazy.:eek:ut:

125ccCrazy

Yeah that sound like what a lot of guys out here do with there motors. Everyone runs 26mm carbs with stock valves, and a 22mm Animal intake. It's crazy.:eek:ut:
Yeah and I bet they dont have much bottom end, probably about the time the engine starts pulling hard the race is over....

I have a 24mm flatslide for my clone and my WF....Curious to see how they pull with these....

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The WF runs good with the 26mm carb. It matches the port, and intake seat that's in the motor. The 24mm should work good on the clone, but it always work better if the motor is modified.

125ccCrazy

The WF runs good with the 26mm carb. It matches the port, and intake seat that's in the motor. The 24mm should work good on the clone, but it always work better if the motor is modified.
Are you referring to a vm series 26mm or the taper bore 26mm that comes on the WF? I went with the 24mm flatslide as I wasn't sure that the wf would handle a true vm26mm, the engine will be basically stock outside of an arc beefy rod, a Dyno 356 cam and heavier springs, everything else is all WF....

My clone is lightly modded, ported and polished head milled .080, ss valves, 26lb springs, locks and retainers, flat top, 285 lift-250 dur cam, arc rod, arc flywheel....

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
26mm is still 26mm no matter the type of carb.
That WF is gonna run harder than a stock WF would run. It's gonna want more air.
It can run good with the 24mm carb, but it should run just a bit better with the slightly bigger carb. The intake, port, and valve seat is already setup for it.

125ccCrazy

26mm is still 26mm no matter the type of carb.
That WF is gonna run harder than a stock WF would run. It's gonna want more air.
It can run good with the 24mm carb, but it should run just a bit better with the slightly bigger carb. The intake, port, and valve seat is already setup for it.

Some of the taper bores are only 26mm at the gasket and then taper down to maybe 22mm at the venturi so in all reality they only flow as much air as a true 22mm carb with a straight through venturi.... The vm26mm has a 190 main jet where as the stock WF is somewhere around a 103 main jet I believe, I know I can drop the main down to maybe a 160 or 170 on the VM before the air/fuel ratio gets too far apart and the carb flows more air than fuel and vice versa when jetting up....

Do you think the this WF will handle a true 26mm?? will it be too much fuel??

I've build small blocks and big blocks, Chevy, Ford, Chryslers since I was in my teens and been messing with the mid bikes for about 4 years but I'm still green around the gills when it comes to the mb engines as far as matching everything to work together so I'm just going off some experience with the other engines I've built.... I might be some dumb but I'm not plumb dumb LOL..

any and all info and help I can get is greatly appreciated..

I got this big ole 28 Mikuni from Member 125ccCrazy, and finally got some time to play with it,

Its not on my good motor, or my bike, But it is on the stand with my ratty old test motor, I bolted her up, and pulled her, the plug was wet, So itll draw fuel,:thumbsup:

Only problem is, my test motor seems to have lost spark over winter.:thumbdown: oh well, Ive got a new coil to bolt up later

Hopefully I can get it bolted on the bike, and running sweet before August.... Ive even got a few more goodies enroute in the mail....
Where can I get an intake like that? I've searched but couldn't find one. I could make one, but it be that pretty.