Finally finished my '69 Rupp Digger! But....

Hello fellow OMBers,

With the help of this awesome website, and its equally awesome users, I was able to finish fixin' up my 1969 Rupp Digger that I bought for $40. I took it for a 15min test drive to today around my neighborhood and didn't have any problems! With a frame that's more than 40 years old, I was pretty nervous :scared:

The tires, brake band and cable, and decals are from OldMiniBikes.com. Other parts were purchased on Ebay.

I'm about 95% done with this baby...I will be making a custom, 2 stage header with my buddy at his race shop. Also, the brakes aren't performing the way I thought they would...

Check out the pics of my setup. I really thought I had them nailed, but during my test run they weren't too convincing. When I pull my handle, the brakes just SLIGHTLY slow the bike down. I've been slowing it down by also slowly swerving back and forth. Any suggestions for a better, more efficient brake setup??

Any help would be great.

Last edited:
Brake Issue....

For lack of a better term, your brake is "backwards". Take the band off and turn it around so the cable is going across the top of the clutch. When you apply the brake it should be pulling against the anchor bolt.

The way you have the brake set up the clutch drum is pushing the brake band away from it rather then it grabbing it. I have a brake band on my clutch and it grabs so good it locks up the rear wheel. Even after I loosened it up it gets to a point where it grabs the band and locks up. Need to find a way to reverse your current set up so the fixed point is on the bottom and the upper portion is pulled by the cable.

Last edited:

Hent

good looking bike. :thumbsup:

you might want to switch those cable anchors out for a conduit retainer.

those cable anchors will probably loosen up, or if you tighten them too much crimp your conduit and wear your cable out prematurely...

thanks guys! flipped the brake and it's working much better.

hent - i had NO idea thats what they're called! i'll have to grab one and a new cable probably...i've noticed some minor crimping. thanks!