finally got my spacer

some of you may remember a month or so ago i was talking about fitting a 13x5-6 rear slick on my Cat. since it wouldn't fit on the 3.5" wheel i was running i decided to get a spacer made. after lots of "it will be done in a few days" i finally got it today. it's made out of aluminum and is actually kind of heavy (probably weighs a bit over a pound). i'm thinking about drilling it out some to drop a bit of weight from it.

i got the wheel together (only took 40 minutes, don't ask) and mounted in the frame. there's no air in the tire in the pic because it's too fricken cold to go air it up at the gas station. you can get the idea though. it's not nearly as close as i thought it was going to be. my wheel/tire are pretty much centered now (was way to the left before) so i'm happy about that. hopefully i'll have it all together and rideable by sunday. the only thing i'm waiting on now is my header. i still need to attach the tank, tune the carb, adjust the clutch, make a new chain (switched to a 60t rear from a 72t), hook up the throttle and kill switch and i'm sure there's some more little things.

it's been about 5 months since i've ridden this thing so i'm happy it's finally getting back together again.

pic time!

Last edited:
hell yeah looks great strigoi.

i got a big rear tire on my mini bike as well, i love the look of a fat tire on a mini bike.
its just about their,just got to get a few bugs outta it,i know either the sprocket is off or the rim, cause i get a lil wobble when i spin the tire.
last thing i want is the chain to pop off and jam the rear wheel,but i'll get it fixed

i'll have to tinker with it when i get some free time or a sitter.

keep us posted bro.
looks great

last thing i want is the chain to pop off and jam the rear wheel
i had that happen to me one day when i was running about 25mph. the rear tire locked (in a parking lot while hitting a corner) and the ass end was all over the place. i managed to keep it rubber side down somehow. my friend that saw it was amazed that i didn't crash.

it's also happened to me while going straight at fairly low speeds <15mph a couple of times. it's not nearly as bad then since it would just skid to a stop. i was also having issues with it throwing the chain then so i was expecting it to happen every time i rode.

Wow Strigoi....That is one Massive spacer...I'm guessing you could remove about 50% of it and still not affect the strength. What strength bolts are you using to hold that assembly together?....Ogy.

Damn thats one angry lookin cat gonna need more then a leather whip ta tame that beast..:scooter:
Sweet that Hulk of a spacer had ta have set you back a dollar or two!!:thumbsup:

Damn thats one angry lookin cat gonna need more then a leather whip ta tame that beast..:scooter:
Sweet that Hulk of a spacer had ta have set you back a dollar or two!!:thumbsup:
it set me back 100 of them. i think i have over $200 into my whole rear wheel set up now. :doah:

i was ok with it considering the cost of material and it took him a little over an hour to make it. labor ain't free.

now i just need to start working on the motor to get some more power. i'm looking for 13+ out of it, which shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited:
The slick looks good, but why so much spacer. Normally the rim width is 1'' or more less than the tread width. It may corner even more squirrelly than normal, since the profile of the tire is changed. There will be nearly no sidewall flex now.

The slick looks good, but why so much spacer. Normally the rim width is 1'' or more less than the tread width. It may corner even more squirrelly than normal, since the profile of the tire is changed. There will be nearly no sidewall flex now.
it's a 5" wide tire (13x5-6) so i decided to make the wheel 5" wide.

from the little i've ridden it it's actually been less squirrely than before when turning (even when running a normal size tire). 95% of my riding is straight line and turning is done at low speeds where i ride usually.

I guess it would take some of the wiggle/jiggle out of the cornering, but right at the corner of the tread and sidewall it might not have as much give to it. a little more lean to get past that point when cornering would probably be the safest.