First Mini Bike Project

I bought a new tank for my Bonanza with a honda GX200 on it. The old tank was close, the new tank is really nice, shorter and very cheap. Gave me more room compared to the original honda tank.
New Fuel Gas Tank for Honda GX160 GX200 Replacement | eBay

Thanks for the info that's what I ended up doing, well I got a Honda tank but hopefully it works. I had never originally considered getting a whole new tank only because I thought they would be way more expensive than just a cap.

Last edited:
That one comes with everything and was shorter then the stock honda tank. Good luck with the build.
Thanks I appreciate it. Don't wanna bother you but is there any way you could give me height measurements of the tank and the cap? I just got the Honda tank and its totally different than what the site had pictured. They showed the usual gx200 tank with a slim 8 ridged cap and sent me a totally different Thai version with the larger 6 ridged gas cap. The tank itself is even slightly larger than the blue one.

Last edited:
I can measure it tonight, post it in the morning.
Great, thanks, no rush at all.

A few things I haven't mentioned yet, I re-routed the throttle cable to run along the top of the frame & operate the throttle from the back instead of the side for safety and aesthetics. I had to dremel out the air filter box and fashion my old wire stop screw into a shorter one. I trimmed the cable housing with a thin metal cutting dremel disc with the old cable inserted to prevent any collapsing and the new cable itself with tape wrapped around it to help prevent any fraying.

These Gorilla valve stems are a perfect replacement for the rear doodlebug wheel as they are angled the same. As you can see I ripped my old core in half to get it out although it already had a tear/leak I believe from someone pushing it back too much trying to put air in the tire.

American zip ties on a Chinese mini bike, the exception rather than the rule.

The Bilstein Baja Doodle Bug almost ready to go, waiting for some action.

It fit after all!!! Barely! I took out the metal circular part that holds the gas cap chain & the chain itself and the cap was just barely able to get in there. I don't know how exactly it was restricting it in the first place, just glad it's in. Thanks again for your help Street Smart, I'd still appreciate if you could post the numbers for reference.
Time to get everything hooked back up & hopefully I'll get a chance to take it for a spin tomorrow. Going to work on finding a way to mount my phone's car mount on the bike to take some video.

Looks good , you're gonna want to put that chain tension wheel on there and I'd highly recommend making it spring loaded ! Makes a big difference and with a good chain like RLV gold on gold you'll never ( almost anyways ) have to fool with tightening the chain , my 2 cents ?:thumbsup:

Looks good , you're gonna want to put that chain tension wheel on there and I'd highly recommend making it spring loaded ! Makes a big difference and with a good chain like RLV gold on gold you'll never ( almost anyways ) have to fool with tightening the chain , my 2 cents ?:thumbsup:
Thanks Chipper, got the chain on the list :thumbsup:. I JUST took the first ride about an hour ago and MAN I'M IN LOVE WITH THIS THING!!! Now I have even MORE appreciation and respect for all you NUTCASES out there!!!

It took a while since my last post since I wanted to wait until I got my clutch cover, hydraulic brakes and a helmet to be safer about things. The bike was an absolute blast, the acceleration was much more fun than I had imagined. Hard corner braking felt a tad squirrely but I was just attributing it to my weight, tire tread and/or my front tire & forks not being absolutely straight. The brakes are a night and day difference like everyone says and did a great job at bringing the bike to a stop from full throttle cruising in a matter of feet.

Overall this has been an amazing experience and I can't thank all of the awesome people here enough for your kindness, help and enthusiasm. I look forward to returning the favor as much as possible. On to the next bike!

Cool, glad you enjoyed it. Nothing like being a nutcase!:thumbsup:
Thanks! You said it! 13 years was way too long of a wait. Never again!

What , huh , yea , OK , I thought so , I think , what ????
That's what I've been saying this whole time!

Looks Good Gabe.:thumbsup: Nothing like that First Ride !
Thanks! Yeah I forgot how theraputic it can be.

Gotta get an exhaust header like I've been meaning to soon. The muffler ate a huge hole in my favorite shorts.

Last edited: