Fixing Honda Trail CT70 Handlebar Mount

I just dragged home my newest edition to the family, a 1974 Honda Trail CT70 I had when I was a kid. This was collecting dust in my dad's garage for the last 30 years. Not bad shape for wiping it off with a rag and throwing some air in the tires.

I was about to order some new handlebars for it but realized it's not the bars that are bent but the cast aluminum piece they mount into on the tree. Hard to see from the pictures but it is twisted. If you had the piece in your hands and twisted your right hand forward (away from you) and left hand back (towards you), that's what I have to deal with.

It's not severe but very noticeable. Any suggestions on how to twist it back or am I just going to have to find a used one? Most parts for these are still available as remans or Chinese knock offs but I haven't found this one. Anyone seen them or have one for sale?

As for trying to fix it, maybe cold bend it with brute force in a vice with a pipe wrench and a rag or solid rod through the hole? I don't think heating it up will help. I can't be the first guy with this problem. Ideas anyone?

george3

Ride it like that till you find a replacement. Post what you want under mini bike parts wanted and keep an eye out on ebay.

Follow up to an old thread...I ended up buying a used one but recently came across the bent one and decided to give it a shot. It was twisted pretty bad but I had nothing to lose.

I put one end in a vice with plywood jaws. I used a 5' solid steel breaker bar stuck through the side that wasn't clamped. It took a little time to get it just right, but it worked. No cracks! All I need to do is buff it and it's good as new. It can be done!