"Flee" micro bike

markus

Not really a build thread, the bike is complete and running/driving, I am tearing it down to detail, change tires etc... Some people have asked for some specifics for their micro builds. Since there really is not much info to be found on these bikes that I found, I'll post up as much info as I can for future reference etc. on these.

First off Props to the maker of these (minibike world), for its size its built VERY WELL and rides very nice even with my 6' tall 225lbs spare tire belly self on it:thumbsup:, while the motor is a giveaway that its not necessarily "vintage" they did a good job giving it the look building it similar to the lil Petro and using a taco style seat:thumbsup: They made the Jonny freestyle bike and the flee as well. this one was autographed and dated on the base of the seat, 12-02. Cant make out the signature. I would love to find the guy who built these, and get more info if anyone knows a name that would be great.

Heres how I received it:

up on the bench starting to dissasemble:

Here's some specs;
It came in at just about 34lbs on the scale (tank empty)
total length (including tires) is 37 inches long,
ground to top of seat 17"
ground to top of bars 27"

Bars are removable to pack away in even the tightest of spots:

It is powered by a 43cc "weedeater" style motor, the decal is john deere, not sure who the actual maker for them was, but this motor looks a lot like the typical china clone ones that I found while surfing current pocketbike sites etc..

Driven by a clutch and jackshafts, which appear to be built specifically for this bike, and look very sturdy. I am not sure how the shaft connects to the clutch bell/crankshaft just yet but the front box is bearing supported on both sides of the chain as is the rear jackshaft assy.

teeth counts are:
9 @ clutch 20 @ J/S
to 9 @ J/S to 36 @ tire
#35 chain

tire is 7.5" overall hieght

pics of setup:

Brake is a standard "mini-bike" style disc caliper which is actually a bit large for the bike, it does not leave any room for a different tire size. it stops the bike very well

Wheels are composite and looks like wheelchair or something like that, It could use tires, I found the size listed on OldMiniBikes so I ordered some yesterday and hopefully they are right.

construction of the frame is very nice, It is powdercoated which has some issues here and there but I was able to find a match so I am going to do my best to touch it up for now. Tank is the typical round metal tanks, I guess you could maybe still get them new back in early 2000's?

I am hoping to find or build a header and pipe for it and I will be ordering at least a hop up air filter to give it a better look. Probably going to paint and maybe mod the shroud a little bit as well, just to try and loose some of that weedeater look.

I would also like to change the wheels, I think there will be an issue at the rear though if I do this concerning the brake but I found a set of goped wheels that look like lil indian 4 spoke and even set that looks like the taco style wheels, they may be too wide though. gotta get some more info on them.

so that's it for now, I have to say I love this thing! While I cant stand the look of the motor, I am amazed at how quick it is and how well it pulls.

If anyone has anymore info on them please post it up :thumbsup:

cool bike! yea those weedwacker clutches need outside bearing support. very cheezy design thats why theyre a challenge to use for anything else. looks liek that box thing does the job nicely. It shouldnt be too hard to make that motor look old :thumbsup:

markus

Pimp my Flee

:pimp: Got some parts in the mail today to "pimp my Flee"

OldMiniBikes warehouse supplied the replacement tires, and I ordered some bearings just in case that came from them as well. I got a velocity stack and chrome air cleaner for the carb. I also gave up for the time being trying to find a tuned pipe thats going to work and ordered this overpriced billet muffler/box thingamajigger. Installing those will loose the 2 black plastic covers on either side of the motor, and I am going to attempt to trim up some of the shrouding that is left. Its yellow it may kinda look like a little mac when its done:shrug: not shown but it came the other day was a chrome gas cap as well.

Still wanna build an expansion pipe for it, If I am able to afford to keep this bike then I will just acquire some pieces as I go and weld something up. I just wanted to try and loose that fresh off the weedwacker look the motor has.

I think I am going to modify the chainguard a little as well, possibly paint it and the wheels in sliver, dunno yet......

Last edited:

markus

Been doing a little work between raindrops on this bike this week.

Tore it all down and been cleaning, did some paint work etc..

I decided to try and paint the wheels as I did not like the black. It did not turn out as well as I had hoped, it was rainy and very wet yesterday and the paint was not too cooperative.

I dressed up the motor a little as well. I painted the block black, did some :grind: on the plastic shrouding sanded the fins, added the velocity stack/aircleaner and the billet muffler thingy for now. still looks like a weedeater motor, but not much more I can do to it. Good thing is its an actual Japan made one, not the Chinese clone so Its got a good bottom end.

I need to try and do some touch ups, this bike is an '02 and and its been used, the powdercoating job is not the best either. I found that the Metalcast blue anodizing spray looks just about dead on. Only comes in a sraybomb though. Just picked up a can yesterday, I am going to try and spray some in a cup and use a brush for some of the chips, I guess it cant look worse:shrug: well see :smile:

Wheels don't look bad in the pics..... :shrug: Whole thing looks pretty good, in fact.

I feel your pain. I've got a bunch of small parts to clean up and paint and what not for my girlfriend's bike and I haven't gotten a single thing done this week in this weather. I got soaked three times yesterday moving from jobsite to jobsite at work...... (You know, that place some of us get up and go to everyday....... :doah::wink:)

Hoping for a clear sky this weekend. :thumbsup:

markus

thanks guys, I'm happier with the silver on the wheels now that the tires are on and I think the bike does look better as a whole now that I see it together:thumbsup:

weather clear up for you SC? sunny clear skies today finally!

Dan-E-boy

hi markus, this is a cool little bike man.. the engine looks a lot better now with the upgrades:thumbsup: i wanted to ask where you got the gas cap? looks really cool. i have a few tanks that could use a nice cap like that..:smile:

Dan-E-boy

Here's something.

Vintage Kart gas cap: Chilton-Rupp-MAC;1-1/2" OR 1-3/4" new chrome cap.

Vintage Kart Gas Cap Chilton Rupp Mac 1 1 2" or 1 3 4" New Chrome Cap Nice | eBay

Thanks for the link but I already bought one from that guy and he sent me a different one.. the one he sent me looked like this..
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=121100022424&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=77540506020
When I asked him about it,He told me that he ran out of the one in his pics along time ago..:shrug: still a nice cap but I think the one he advertises looks cooler..