Fm71's OldMiniBikes-16 just for fun ( quad revisited)

I've decided to submit a project for this year's build off in the J4F class. This is a quad project I abandoned back in 2013 due to having some issues with the suspension and steering I had fabricated. Going to tear out the front end and rebuild and install a reverse gear drive and swing arm for the rear. The predator 420 has been sitting there untouched since 2013 so hopefully it doesnt have any issues from sitting out in the past 2 years. I have been a little distant from the group lately due to changing careers again and now have my dream job as a fabricator/builder for building trucks for Snap-On. Good luck to everyone!:thumbsup:

Great to see you back FM! I do recall you going through a job change/education process a couple of years ago. It's great to hear you found your dream job!

MCF2891

I ride quads and I've never seen one like this before. This is a definite build I am gonna watch. Good luck

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Wow Joe. Has it been that long. Time flies i feel like I've been gone forever and its less than a year. I see its the little ones birthday next week as well.

Glad your still around

Thanks guys and good to hear from you Dan. The only progress I have made so far is getting my workspace set up and figuring how I am going to place the new A-arms. I took an old pic and doodled in paint to give an idea of what I plan to do. I am going to keep the single a-arm design but move them up and inward to increase travel and articulation. The arm will be a box style on the front with a tube trailing behind for the support. The springs will also be moved inward slightly and not hang out so much.

Got the old left side a-arm cutout and ground down along with the steering assy. Will hopefully have the right side off and shock mounts cutoff and ground down tomorrow eve. It's slow progress but I want to make sure I get everything right this time around. For those that didnt follow my original build of this bike, the steering linkage has been reworked a couple times already. I think keeping it simple will assure a completed project that will function as I hoped.

Hey FM I didn't see the first tries at this build....but I'll be watching this one. Good Luck Sir!
thanks OND, I completed the rough cutout of the old front section and will fit up some pieces for a mock-up later in the week and hopefully have something to work with on this weekend. the red edits on the pics show where the new frame rails will be going. The old hubs were measured from various frame positions and documented so that the new suspension will retain the original ride height. I will still be cutting out the back and turning it into a swing arm once the front is completed. Apparently, the front springs I bought a couple years ago are no longer being carried so I am looking for a single of the same/similar look. These are pretty beefy springs and believe they came off a yerf-dog.

Got a few new front end pieces tacked in place for the a-arm supports and with the lower rails now triangulated, it should add some rigidity to the frame. I have 2 deg of caster built in and will have an adjustable back mount that will allow +/- another 2. I don't expect this machine to make any fast numbers so I think I will be ok keeping them low. I am planning to start making the arms either tonight or tomorrow since my tubing arrived yesterday.

I agree with Chipper. This will certainly be one of a kind. Wish I had your vision and fab skills for sure. The frame looks great.

Doc

Thanks Docdc and chipper. I got a little more done on the front area but still not as much as I had hoped. I spent a lot of time using the old measurements and trying to get the new suspension components to come close to where the old wheel hub was. I ended up gaining another 2 inches of ground clearance and moved the arm an inch more forward. The wheel hub was also tucked in an inch inward. Seems like the more components I end up adding, the more difficult of a time I have getting everything squared and symmetrical. My tubing is .76 ID and so I used 3/4 bronze bushings for the arm pivots. The steering part of the wheel hub also uses 3/4 bushings. I am temporarily using 1/2 all thread but will turn down some 1/2 rods on the lathe when I get a chance.

feeling pretty good about the front end so far and I completed fabricating all of the arms and have them tacked up. I ordered some shorter springs last night and waiting to fit those before a final weld on everything. The single a-arm design I came up with has an upper tube which gives an impression that there is an upper and lower unit while also adding some strength. I will be using one of the old front (stiff) springs for the rear swing arm. I am really glad I cut out the old portion and redid this, check out the articulation (potential of) in the below pics. I am still drawing/planning the rear setup and dont have all of my pieces due to mostly the cost of them but would really like the jam a FNR gearbox in there somewhere and still have the clutch/torque converter to decide on. worst case, I will use a regular centrifugal clutch with a jackshaft on swing arm but I still have some time left (optimistic).

Last edited: