forks info / advice needed.

i bought a frame and fork set last fall and am now getting it road worthy. i disassembled and repainted both. the forks have the inner springs that get held in place with a nut and bolt further up and through the upper fork tubes. i reassembled and noticed that there is a lot of play between the two tubes.
i was wondering if there is supposed to be some type of bushing or whatnot to take up the space?

thanks for any help!!!

forks 1.jpeg forks 2.jpeg

more pics of the forks with frame. thanks for all the help and patience.

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg 5.jpeg

edit: not sure why they are not all right side up.

Last edited:

markus

Your bike is a CCS, and no there was not any bushings or anything like that installed in them from the factory.

Heres one I rescued and cleaned up (and really miss) for reference

markus

This is something I recently came up with on another bike I am working on, keep in mind it still hasn't been field tested yet, but I do jump on it and work the suspension while making engine noises as I propel myself around the garage and up and down the driveway quite frequently and they have been fine :laugh: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/tech-section/96118-ghetto-fabulous-fork-seals.html

The forks on this bike are 1" so you need to look for 7/8" caps for yours

great. thanks so much!!! is there a chance of the top tubes "ovaling" from the looseness of the bottom / inside tubes?

that blue one looks great. i take it you no longer have it?

any idea what the second / top hole on the rear axle dropout is for?

markus

great. thanks so much!!! is there a chance of the top tubes "ovaling" from the looseness of the bottom / inside tubes?

that blue one looks great. i take it you no longer have it?

any idea what the second / top hole on the rear axle dropout is for?
yea they can oval out, they are a pretty sloppy fit even if the tubes are good from what I can tell. Yes I sold the bike, shipped it to a Harley dealer in the northeast somewhere a few years ago dunno what happened to it. bike was very light for its size, lots of fun to ride!

Like capgun said, the extra hole was for a band brake. I had actually converted mine over to a Lomart sprocket/brakedrum combo when I put it together. It was missing the rear wheel so I had to improvise and the lomart parts were cheap and believe it or not easier to find than a band brake drum to fit the wheel pattern :doah:, the band brake would have stopped it better though I would say.

Heres the build thread on it when I put it together http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/67759-ccs-charger-hoodride.html