Fox Trail Tramp Build

I picked this bike up last spring from Craigslist. Not 100% sure what direction I'm going to go with it but I want to get started on it. It's pretty complete but also well worn. It's missing everything related to the brakes, the headlight, the gas tank, the seat and has been converted from a 2 speed centrifugal to a single-speed. The engine appears to be the original HS40 with lighting coil with a 1969 serial number. Engine runs fine after a carb rebuild.

I picked up a cheap correct tank that is appropriately beat up for this bike.

Can anyone show me what this tank is supposed to have on the bottom? The mounts are one the frame but whatever is supposed to be on the tank is long gone and I can't find any pictures of the bottom of one of these tanks.

Plans for now are to get the tank fixed and mounted. I need to work on the throttle which is a bit messed up and not operating smoothly. Then I need to figure out brakes for it. I'm leaning towards putting some hydraulic calipers on both the front and back. From there I'll see if I can save any of the chrome and then start figuring a powdercoat scheme.

Should have sleeves for bolts to screw in that gas tank.
There also should be rubber grommets on the bike frame where the bolts will screw through to hold the tank in place.

Brake calipers are going to be one of your biggest pains, they go for about $100-$150 each.

Also going to want to add a foam strip between the bottom of the tank and the frame rail the tank will lay on. You don't want metal on metal.
I can post some pics of parts you want.
Or PM me with a list of what you want to see.

Also going to want to add a foam strip between the bottom of the tank and the frame rail the tank will lay on. You don't want metal on metal.
I can post some pics of parts you want.
Or PM me with a list of what you want to see.
If you could post pics of what the gas tank should look like underneath that would be great. I'm actually thinking of selling this bike but I'd like to finish the tank and get it running first. I've given up on finding original brakes for it. They are more than I want to spend.

Fox Fuel Tank w Cushion Strip.JPG Fox Fuel Tank w Shoulder Bolts.JPG The bolts used to mount the tank to the frame are called shoulder bolts.
Also is troe you need a cushion under the tank.
Reaper

Last edited:
If you could post pics of what the gas tank should look like underneath that would be great. I'm actually thinking of selling this bike but I'd like to finish the tank and get it running first. I've given up on finding original brakes for it. They are more than I want to spend.
I'll post some pics of the gas tank when I get home in a few hours.

I'd be willing to work with you if you want to sell me the luggage rack to offset part of the cost of the brake caliper?

Let me know

I'll post some pics of the gas tank when I get home in a few hours.

I'd be willing to work with you if you want to sell me the luggage rack to offset part of the cost of the brake caliper?

Let me know
At this time I'm hoping to get what parts I have together and get it running then sell it. Hoping to not part it out.