From another fourm....good read

Good read. I never had a mini as a kid (growin up in the 70s), but did have a gocart that would push 50 MPH. We terrorized the farm roads N of Dallas on it for years.
I was into rockcrawlers for years, old cars, and finally decided to give up cars and take up minis. I kept my 61 Apache truck, but no longer work on it.
My latest find, A Bird 'Duck' , is going to be the next build. Its for my daughter, who is supposed to be born in the next week or 2. Yea, she doesnt have a chance of being a 'momma's girl'.:scooter:

Mean Dean

I was 5 When I started to ride.

Ruttman's were in my neighborhood since we were just a mile away. In 1964 My dad bought me a orange Ruttman with a Tecumseh 3 1/2 H.P. For a mere $89.00. I still have it today. My older brother rode it briefly that first 4 months. I terrorized the neighborhood during the day when my dad was at work. That was the good old days when no one really cared if you rode in the hood. I still have about 25 left. I have cleared out a lot of them to make room in the basement. Just yesterday a kid in the my hood about 11 was caught by the cops in front of the house on a Ruttman Vulture. He let him go and he had to walk it home. It brought my memeories back to 1964. He had gotten his from an uncle last year. Him and his dad put a newer briggs 3H.P on it. His jaw dropped a mile when I showed him mine and he never seen a Ruttman Grasshopper Chopper before. He wanted to go get his dad to buy it. I told him sorry not for sale. The kid thought i must be crazy at 50 with a gray beard that I would have 25 mini bikes. Yesterday was priceless and I am glad I grew up in the sixties and seventy's.

There's nothing like your first bike. I was never allowed to have one as a kid growing up in the seventy's, but I had Friends that had them. I also love going to there house to ride. First bike I learn to ride was a 74 Honda XL70.

that's very cool of you to show him! I'm sure you got him hooked as I am. I'm ready to put my grasshopper together today! just got the frame back from being painted. wondering if you have an exhaust pipe for them? you can call me at 617-686-8800 thanks in advance, john

that's very cool of you to show him! I'm sure you got him hooked as I am. I'm ready to put my grasshopper together today! just got the frame back from being painted. wondering if you have an exhaust pipe for them? you can call me at 617-686-8800 thanks in advance, john
Probably be best to start a new thread for that as this one is pretty old with some non active members.

Gatecrasher

For me it's hard to imagine any red-blooded American boy growing up in the 70's not wanting a minibike. My parents weren't real keen about them either but they still let me have one. Well actually, I had a bunch of them because I was hard on them.

Everyone in my neighborhood had one. We had it made back then. Most of today's kids don't know what they're missing.