Gas tank gas caps

What are you guys using for a gas cap when you weld up your own gas tanks from scratch?

I need to make my own cylinder gas tank because I can't find anything around and not sure as to what to use for a filler neck and cap.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbabins1

I just grab some parts from Lowes in the plumbing section... They have brass fittings and caps that work perfectly. I've made a few from them.

I have built a few from empty propane cylnders , I like the coleman camping size

I care fully grind/peel off the sheet metal bottom to reveal a nice round end and then cut off the threaded neck

I use a torch and brazeing rods as it flows nicely on this gauge of metal

For the fuel line nipple I use a piece of large steel brake line just drill a hole where you want it and push it thru with enough inside that it will not pick up sediment from the bottom of the tank

My trick for the fuel cap is too buy a small metal can of ABS plumbing cement

I cut the bottom out off the can and then use a hole saw to cut a clean round hole in the top of the tank

The bottomless can will slide down in with a nice snug fit and acts as a anti-slosh baffle

Braze it in and build a nice fillet around the neck , sometimes I use Jb weld as a filler to pretty it up

Drill a small vent hole in the cap and cut a gasket out of a plastic icecream lid with a offset vent hole and your good tol go

This is the only picture I can find of mine but have to buuild another soon , might do a build thread on it

125ccCrazy

Rob that's a great idea for filler necks.. I don't know how many of those I have thrown out and never gave it a thought :doah:... now I have a new supply when I start making fg tanks again...Thanks for the idea..

i need to do more brazing. whenever i try to weld up a tank it leaks like crazy. i think the welds tend to crack when they cool. it really sucks. But for the filler necks cut out a neck from an old rusted or bad tank. theyre soldered on the base though so you need to deal with that. nice writeup Rob :)

Thanks for sharing that Rob, really good idea. And Karen, using the neck and cap from a old Briggs tank is a good idea as well. I'm going to have to practice up my brazing. :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk