gaskets and parts questions

slam49

im getting ready to go thru my 5hp flathead. the goal is to remove govenor, install arc rod, maybe some new valve springs. thats it for now. in the future id like to keep going and do a cam, lifters, flywheel, etc, but for now i'm just keeping it simple and cheaper.. I am going to a float type carb so the engine will fit in my old minibike frame, thats why im loosing the gove and putting in a rod for the time being.

anyway, on to the questions. where is a good place to get gaskets? OldMiniBikes has the rod but no gaskets. i looked at turk bros and they have a coupe options on the side cover gasket, one is thinner. does it matter? also they state all their stuff is for a raptor. my engine isnt a raptor, do all the parts interchange? mainly i am asking about the side cover gasket, head gasket, and the valve window.

ideally id like to pick up a copper head gasket, side cover gasket, valve window gasket, arc rod, maybe some valve springs, all at one place. point me in the right direction please.

also any ill affects of slipping in .030 copper head gasket in there for good measure?

125ccCrazy

all raptor parts will interchange, the Raptor was an upgraded version of your engine..

The side cover gaskets come in various thicknesses to set the endplay on the crank.

If your going to replace the rod buy a set of rings and a hone since you have to pull the piston...

You will be fine with the copper gasket.

slam49

any good ideas where i might find all that, at one place? trying to save a dollar on shipping from 4 different places lol

slam49

man thanks for that. i guess i didnt dig hard enough. all those parts should be linked to the oem briggs stuff.. i would have never found all that crap under outdoor power.. I just knew they should have more parts than what i was finding! theres like a whole new section of goodness...damn...

yeah im going to make a header and an intake. I have a tecumseh carb and a mikuni vm22, hopefully i can make one of them work right.

Last edited: