General Minibike restoration questions. Bonanza specifically.

I have two Bonanzas, I bought them both within a week of each other, in two different states. Both had the original 'selling new' dealer decal on them and 50+ years ago they came from the same dealer 20 miles away from me!

I have them both pretty much apart.

Couple questions for the more experienced restorer than I.

1. Bonanza aluminum wheels. I don't want to paint them, what is the best way to bring 'em back?

2. I have a box of stuff that I can only guess were zinc plated when new. Axles, bushings, nuts and bolts, Cable clips and all that non-painted stuff. What is the best way to coat this stuff so not only does it look new but will be protected from rust? Again I really don't want to paint this stuff.

3. Bonanza blue color. I know it has been discussed before but is there a generally accepted 'correct' color?

Oh, by the way, vinegar and salt absolutely works GREAT as a rust remover if you can dip the parts for 24 hours or so. Some parts come out looking brand new!

Attachments

I would have the wheels burnished, there’s a big debate on paint maybe since you have a pretty good sample you can try to get it paint matched and see how it looks, for the small odds and ends you have get it all re plated or order new hardware in stainless steel

mustangfrank

You should be able to find local shops that do zinc plating, trouble is finding shops that will deal with small job customers. Burnished wheels look great but will be a little on the over-restored appearance if you're going that direction. Best to blast them before sending them out to Sam for burnishing or he'll have to do it, you'll get a chance to see them raw then too. I had a set glass beaded and was happy with the look, don't know how long they'll stay that way though.

GM paint code 976 LeMans/Nassau blue is a very close match.
THIS Nassau blue? Guess it would match my Corvette. I think the Vette is a little lighter...

New question, any advice on taking the wheels apart? Never took a split wheel apart before. I gave them a quick try with a screwdriver and they weren't budging...soaking in PB Blaster now...is there a trick on how to take these apart?

Attachments

Yes, that Nassau blue. Used on Corvettes and I believe some Chevelle‘s. It is just a shade lighter but still close.

Getting those wheels apart is a pain…

I put a mixture of dish soap and water into a spray bottle. Spray the mixture around the tire bead and let it soak in. Do that many times, let it soak for a day or two. Then start using several tire spoons. I use 3 at the same time. Gently try to work tire bead down off the wheel. Apply more of the soapy water as you go. Be careful as those wheels will crack or chip if you apply too much pressure.

Like I said, it is a pain… But I’ve had good luck using this method.

Getting those wheels apart is a pain…

I put a mixture of dish soap and water into a spray bottle. Spray the mixture around the tire bead and let it soak in. Do that many times, let it soak for a day or two. Then start using several tire spoons. I use 3 at the same time. Gently try to work tire bead down off the wheel. Apply more of the soapy water as you go. Be careful as those wheels will crack or chip if you apply too much pressure.

Like I said, it is a pain… But I’ve had good luck using this method.
OK, Now I am totally confused, you are saying to take the tires off BEFORE you split the rims?

OK, Now I am totally confused, you are saying to take the tires off BEFORE you split the rims?
Either way is ok…I never reuse tires…if they don’t just slip apart after taking the bolts loose I cut the damn tire…so much easier and finisher in minutes not days…ive saved tires before took 2-3 days to soak and wiggle off shitty tires because they’re “original”…piss on that too old…

I think the true correct color for bonanza blue comes from an American Legion badge or something to that nature….think I read that somewhere…my mind is in a bit of a fog….

Paint color update. Thought I'd share what i have found to maybe help the next guy,

We have been discussing the correct blue color. I'd guess there are plenty variations out there and this will pertain to what I have .

I took the swing arm off and compared it to my 1966 Corvette which is code 976 Nassau blue. I think the picture will show the Nassau blue is quite a bit lighter, The second blue is 1969 Chevrolet Lemans blue code 71. I wish I had taken a picture with the swingarm right up close but I didn't. Color was as close as you could ever want. So for ME, 1969 GM code 71 Lemans blue is a winner!

Today the frame goes for a dip in the chemical tank to be stripped.

Attachments