Get me up to speed

I've been out of the loop for about 40 yrs. When I was a kid, we ran B&S, Tecumseh and Clinton engines on our mini bikes and fun karts. When I raced go karts, we ran what you youngsters now call "smokers"...McCulloch 93's and 101's. I see that my age is showing when I hear guys referring to the old B&S as "flat heads".
So, the question is: What exactly is a "clone"......and what is it a clone of?

The Clone engines ( Chinese Engine )are just that...cloned off the Honda OHV engines mostly the GX200 honda. We use to race Flatty's in this area years ago but the clones have taken over. Most clones were from Harbor freight but now they have changed over to what they call a Predator 212 engine.

buckeye

A clone is a engine that was, usually, built in China copying Honda engne.
Usually 6.5hp.
But,can be made to run fabulous.
Some or us have both Flat heads and clones or Honda gx type engeines.
Someone that has a clue what they are talking about will set ya straight.:wink:
I got you by a couple years, old guy..:laugh:

So how many outfits are making clones? Are all of them made in China by Long Ding Dong, or are some better than others?
Hi PAP,

I believe that some Chinese built "clones" can be better than some others, for example the Chinese made "Lifan", "Loncin" or "Predator" are a better motor to have as opposed to an unbranded generic 6.5HP. This is just from my experience, some may beg to differ!

I'd imagine that there are a large number of outfits developing these clone engines, down here in New Zealand we get thousands of them, and many are from different brands like Titan, Lutian, Lifan, Loncin, but by far the most common clones are unbranded and just say 6.5 on the recoil starter. I identify these as having a red starter shroud alike the Honda.

Personally, I've had very bad experiences with these unbranded engines - I found that the blocks were very prone to cracking. I also believe that the quality is reflected in the price - they aren't designed to last!

This is my personal opinion, I haven't owned a clone long enough to push it to its limits.

By far the best one I've come across was a "Titan", which is a re-branded "Predator" made at the same factory. It was responsive, seemed to have a good quality casting and block, and started and ran nicely. It was a powerful unit, and it was like owning a genuine honda engine. I preferred this much more than the cheap generic unbranded engine. Keep the oil and air filter clean and I'm sure you'll get many years out of one!

Of course, the best Over Head Valve engine on the market is the real deal - the Genuine Honda GX engines. These usually cost signifigany more than the Clones but the quality is much better. However, the honda isn't the only small over head valve engine on the market, another contender is the Subaru Robin Over Head Cam engine, which ive only heard positive things about! I rode a go kart with the Subaru Robin EX17 (6.0HP) engine and it was a really powerful unit. These are often disregarded by the minibike community as there are virtually no Performance parts available for them, whilst there is a huge market for aftermarket parts that fit the Honda and Clone engines. I do not believe that there are any clones of the Subaru Robin engine.

So to sum things up:
The common "clone" motor is a Chinese copy of the Japanese built Honda GX160 and GX200 motors as stated by OND and Buckeye. The most popular horsepower for a clone engine is 5.5HP for the GX160 and 6.5HP for the GX200. However I believe there is a smaller 2.5HP version.

There looks to be a large amount of company's developing the Clone engine across china.

There are various Chinese brands that develop a better quality clone than others going by my past experiences.

I prefer to stick to my "flathead" Briggs and Tec's :thumbsup: I'm sure a person with more knowledge on the clones can correct any information I provided!

Jack

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I've just be debating on a motor for my next build and wanted to get up to speed on 21st century technology.
I have a good 5 hp "flattie", that been in the shed for 20 yrs. It's a 1983 vintage that came off a snowblower, so it's probably seen few hours.
I would have to change the carb out to a float bowl style as I want to use a top tank. My primary goal is to replicate a '70-'74 Rupp bike.
On the other hand, I like the idea of a Predator for the price, ease of installation, one pull starts and availability of performance parts.

One thing I have considered is a lighting coil. Do any of the clones come with a lighting coil, or can be upgraded to one? Or is that just a Honda thing?

gbabins1

All of my bikes have Predators 212cc's on them... (total of 5) They are hard to beat for the price and reliability, although I like the looks of the flatheads and the fact that they are American made... but it's hard to beat the Predator's price etc. They can be made to look pretty cool if you remove the stock tank, exhaust and air filter too :thumbsup: We give them a good beating off road and they keep on humming away without any issues.

Well, a Predator it is for this bike. I'll use the old flattie for a kart motor for the grand kids. I was really curious what a Ben Franklin bought these days. The last Briggs I bought new was in 1978, on sale at the Ace Hardware for $110.00.

Enter 2016, and I can get another horse and a half for 10 bucks less..."nature is definitely out of balance".:huh:

Holy snikeys!!! I see that Harbor Freight has a Black Friday special on Predators!

212 cc, 6.5 hp, $94.99........."somebody's gonna get fired!".

That's what I kinda figured...it just strikes me funny that they would even make 2 versions. Anyway, I picked one up last Tuesday. I could have saved another 5 bucks on Black Friday, but I wasn't risking brain damage enduring all the carnage at that store.