Gilson Restomod

I wanted to wrap this up since I finished.

Original kill switch wired up.

I did wind up welding a washers onto eye bolts after my drilled eye bolts failed.

I made my own serial plate. I cut the aluminum out on my cnc router, applied a decal that I printed black on clear and then stamped the rest of the serial number.

All decaled up and ready to hit the road.

My dad riding and having a blast at Windber.

Both of my bikes after the parade.

Heading home(with a new project).

Time to get back into this. I've done everything I can at home where I have limited tools so I brought everything thing into work today. For Christmas I got new tires, tubes, a brake lever, foot peg covers and a fender. Most of that isn't stuff I need just yet but will come in helpful in the near future.

When I took the bike apart I cataloged every bolt so I could replace them with stainless. I hate rust. Paint chips off too easy and powdercoat can make a bolt or nut too thick to get a wrench so every bolt will be stainless. I know I'll need to get some more as I build and add parts but my parents got me everything I had cataloged so this will be a great start. Boltdepot.com is great for purchasing stuff like this.
http://i.imgur.com/8oDptm8.jpg[img]

My brother got me a new rear brake so today I got to work cutting the ends off. I'll weld this new brake onto the old hardware
[img]http://i.imgur.com/V3grGK2.jpg

I was able to get a rear mount tank off a member here. The petcock is at the wrong end for this bike but I knew that when buying and the price was right. I'll cut the petcock out and relocate it to the right place.

I'm converting the bike to a variable transmission model. I've gotten the Comet 20 series driver and driven and new jackshaft sprocket. I'm waiting on the jackshaft and bearings to come in before I can start building that.

Now that I've got some parts I've got a short list of chores that will be tackled next.

-Make new jackshaft plates
-Make bearing mount plates
-Move the gas petcock
-Make gas tank mounting straps
-Make rear fender mounting straps
-Fix cracks in original fender
-Modify new fender to look more like the original
Where could I get that rear brake linkage setup? I am doing a 424/525 kinda restomod and would like to use that, otherwise it's going to be a clutch band or jackshaft band brake.

Where could I get that rear brake linkage setup? I am doing a 424/525 kinda restomod and would like to use that, otherwise it's going to be a clutch band or jackshaft band brake.
That is the stock brake linkage that came with the bike. I just welded a new band on that came from a OldMiniBikes band brake.

Last fall my H50 acquired some unwanted ventilation.

It sat all winter but I've finally gotten around to putting a 'new" engine in. This is an H60 I took off a go kart I bought on Craigslist then sold the go kart. the shrouds were a a little beat up but they are an older, more appropriate style than what was on my H50 so I body worked and painted instead of swapping those parts over.

The engine got cleaned up, a new head gasket, primed and painted.

I put in in the engine and was almost finished assembling when I realized the crank wasn't tapped so I couldn't out my torque converter on. I really didn't want to take everything apart so I decided to drill and tap it on the bike. I used torque converter parts to center punch the crank then started drilling and tapping.

I wasn't paying close enough attention and tapped it as 5/16-24 bolt and not a 3/8-24 bolt like I was using. I need to get the correct bolt and then I can finish putting this bike back together.