Going to call it the mystery Bike

Picked this up from sixxpack yesterday. Before I could even get it out of the truck, buddy claimed it as his. Going to go with Predator, TAV and jackshaft. Should be a fun build, gonna take a while though. 20150708_173001 (1024x576).jpg

Gino looks like a happy boy!
He should get his own OldMiniBikes I.D. & do a project log ...

Dennis B started it and his attention got diverted, it sat until I got it ...
Same thing happened with me ... now its in the hands of the Lowell boys. I hope 3rd times a charm and it gets life breathed into it!!!

We will be taking the grandkids to Brookside in a couple weeks with a 2 seat go kart and a small gas mini for the kids to ride. Maybe it will be ready for some test & tune!

Got a good start. Ordered up some goodies from OldMiniBikes. Torched the rear axle mounts off, ground it and the extension welds down. Looks like it was stretched 4". Tomorrow going to flatten front forks and drill axle hole. Then we can level it and see where to reweld the rear axle mounts for a level stance. I found some spring inner lowers, Gino declined front springs, says the big tires will be enough to smooth out the ride. More updates coming, stay tuned sports fans!
20150711_171006 (1024x576).jpg

She's a roller! Hardest part is now done. Axles made, rear axle mount moved. It all looks straight too. If I do any more of this kind of work, gonna get a MIG welder. That stick likes to blow through the thin walls of the frame. 20150712_151805 (1024x576).jpg

Like how you repositioned the rear mounts. Looks good
Thanks! Got the motor plate and adjustable jackshaft to weld on. Will be running a TAV also. This will give me many gearing options, don't need to be sending my buddy down the road at 50 or so....
Hopefully have the bars all bent up tomorrow night, MIG welding party on Sunday.

Much more progress this weekend. Borrowed a Mig welder and went to town. Got the motor plate, jackshaft and other pieces welded on. Gino is going to make his own seat, didn't know he did upholstery. Final bend of the bars is going to be a challenge. Don't want to kink or collapse the tubing. Gonna try packing them with sand and go for it. TAV has been ditched, takes up way too much room, jackshaft and brake had clearance issues. Clutch with band brake simplifies it all. 20150719_204032 (1024x576).jpg

chrisr

I played with my new hydraulic 1" tube bender couple weeks back and without sand I could not get even close to a 90 degree bend without kinking the pipe and with sand got a lot closer but at 90 it was flatting the tubing. I was using 16 gauge 1" tubing. I found some per-bent 90 degree elbows online that were reasonable and decided to go that route and anything less then 90 degree with sand I was able to use my bender. The 90 degree elbows they sent me look great and have a nice consistent bend radius on the pipe. I found some 90 degree elbows on ebay but the shipping per elbow was really expensive if you needed 8 like I did.

Columbia River Mandrel Bending
http://www.mandrel-bends.com

Description Part # Tax Price (ex) Price (inc)
1.00" Mild Steel, 3.00" Radius, 16 Gauge, 90 Degree Mandrel Bend MS-16-100-300-090 0% $9.50

Much more progress this weekend. Borrowed a Mig welder and went to town. Got the motor plate, jackshaft and other pieces welded on. Gino is going to make his own seat, didn't know he did upholstery. Final bend of the bars is going to be a challenge. Don't want to kink or collapse the tubing. Gonna try packing them with sand and go for it. TAV has been ditched, takes up way too much room, jackshaft and brake had clearance issues. Clutch with band brake simplifies it all. View attachment 75454

Last edited:
I played with my new hydraulic 1" tube bender couple weeks back and without sand I could not get even close to a 90 degree bend without kinking the pipe and with sand got a lot closer but at 90 it was flatting the tubing. I was using 16 gauge 1" tubing. I found some per-bent 90 degree elbows online that were reasonable and decided to go that route and anything less then 90 degree with sand I was able to use my bender. The 90 degree elbows they sent me look great and have a nice consistent bend radius on the pipe. I found some 90 degree elbows on ebay but the shipping per elbow was really expensive if you needed 8 like I did.

1.00" Mild Steel, 3.00" Radius, 16 Gauge, 90 Degree Mandrel Bend MS-16-100-300-090 0% $9.50
Thanks for the link Chris, gives me an option.

Thanks for the link Chris, gives me an option. After checking the site, going to try and pack sand. If that doesn't work, I'll get some of their stuff.

Well, major speed bump in the project. Got the motor mounted and realized with the rear axle so low, drive chain will interfere with the frame rail. Tried mock up with no jackshaft, straight chain, same problem. After a few beverages and looking at it, the only way to go is to cut the front lower rails and widen the front lower crosstube so the lower rails will not taper going forward. Also going to need to fab up new motor plate. Gino is on board, just gonna take longer.

Ok, major fab work done. Widened the lower frame rails 2". Played with the bars, took 3 trys to get them right. Just goofing there. Set the motor in and started thinking. We picked up the OldMiniBikes aftermarket TAV, but it just wasn't mounting well. So, in a moment of genius or otherwise, I decided to split the set up and install the driven on the jackshaft. Now everything lines up. Going to mount a band brake in the jackshaft. Need to place another parts order to OldMiniBikes to make some more progress. looks like next spring for this gem.

Attachments