got 18lb springs installed, now hard to turn over?

Ok so I finally got my replacement rocker stud in that I broke, I set the motor @ TDC installed the 18lb springs and set the lash at .002 intake and .003 exhaust which I will admit is the smallest valve lash I've ever seen. I got it all put back together and now the motor is EXTREMELY hard to turnover with the pullstart. I only tried it a few times, I didn't want to mess the pull starter up or snap the string. I'm guessing the lash is set too tight but I set it @ the recommended settings with slight friction when I move the feeler gauge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After you set the lash you need to turn the motor over a few times by hand and then check the lash again.If you did this already then check for coil bind of your valve springs.

I totally forgot to turn the motor over a few times and re-check the lash..I'll do that and see where its at.
While your doing that look at the springs while turning it over to make sure they aren't squeezing tight and binding.If all this is good i would have to say your comp release on the cam is not working.

I remember someone telling me with the 18lb springs, the spring pockets might need to be cut if there is binding. If the compression release on the cam is messing up, would removing the spark plug act like a comp release and make turning over the motor easier?

Ok, I got it back running with no coil bind and with the valve lash set correctly..the exhaust lash was terribly out of adjustment and was set at more like .030 rather than .003.
It is running terriby rich which I'm hoping is my freshly oiled uni filter or just running choppy from sitting for 3 weeks in this cold weather, if it continues running rich I'll throw the stock jet back in the carb and see how it runs. I did notice it was smoking pretty bad which I'm thinking is oil from the air filter.

Last edited:
stock etube and .038 drilled jet which I'm told flows more like a .036-.037
the smoke the motor was blowing out was thick and definetly had an oily smell to it, the motor has just broken in so I know it can't be oil seeping past the rings.

Last edited:
Ok, I got it back running with no coil bind and with the valve lash set correctly..the exhaust lash was terribly out of adjustment and was set at more like .030 rather than .003.
It is running terriby rich which I'm hoping is my freshly oiled uni filter or just running choppy from sitting for 3 weeks in this cold weather, if it continues running rich I'll throw the stock jet back in the carb and see how it runs. I did notice it was smoking pretty bad which I'm thinking is oil from the air filter.
stock etube and .038 drilled jet which I'm told flows more like a .036-.037
did you change the jetting, without reading the plug first? on a previous motor, i ordered the jet first too... ended up back with the stock and drilling one or two sizes up with the harbor freight drill bit set... that was with a cam, air filter kit, exhaust, springs, etc etc

I've only let the motor run like this for maybe 5 minutes, is that long enough to get an accurate reading by looking at the spark plug?
maybe youngengines will chime in, but me personally, ive only read the plugs on my motors, by running it damn near wide open (for a few seconds) and shutting it down (i shut it down on the fly, but if you stop and immediately shut it down, pretty sure thats ok too, without letting it idle... read the plug, change the jetting if needed and repeat...

similar to this
AGK - Carburetor Tuning - Affordable Go Karts

IJG

Link Is Very informative!

As Chevy Chase Said in 1 of his movies,
Heh HeH HeH Heh Heh Heh IIIIIIIIIIIIII Like It!
Thanks Mr . Gerald.

Motor is back running great as of an hour ago, its alittle richer than I'd like but its nothing to keep from riding it. Me being a dummy and with this new air filter adapter, I had no idea the choke was on :doah: I figured the choke lever would turn the same way as the fuel on/off but it turns out it goes the other way to turn the choke on..sheesh I felt dumb upon discovery.
I'm hoping when I put in one of those autolite ar39xx it'll make up for the slight richness.

Last edited:
Motor is back running great as of an hour ago, its alittle richer than I'd like but its nothing to keep from riding it. Me being a dummy and with this new air filter adapter, I had no idea the choke was on :doah: I figured the choke lever would turn the same way as the fuel on/off but it turns out it goes the other way to turn the choke on..sheesh I felt dumb upon discovery.
I'm hoping when I put in one of those autolite ar39xx it'll make up for the slight richness.
I use that plug.
Its not something you will really notice to be honest and I would be more concerned about fouling it than a regular plug if your carb is not set correctly.