Greyhound 2.5 governor or (please help a dummy)

Would someone please help out a newb! I'm confused as to how use the governor properly. I want to keep the governor on and use the linkage throttle stop. Do I have this set up properly? There is an awful lot of spring tension to move the governor arm back to idle when the throttle arm held wide open. I can always stretch that larger spring a bit but it seems awful "fiddly".

IMG_20161115_123116.jpg

I should have mentioned that I plan to attach the throttle cable to the original throttle slider arm above the pull start handle in the pic.

Maybe I would be better off removing the spring between the throttle linkage and governor arm and placing it between the other side of the governor arm out to the rear gas tank mount like in this pic?

Anyone........???

IMG_20161115_123116.jpg

:confused: Did you change from the way it came in the box?? Lots of spring tension is a good thing. :thumbsup:

It should look something like this (Thank Manchester1 for the pic):

Thanks minikenny! I searched for this before posting and have stared at that pic for likely an hour. I don't understand how this could work. Opening the throttle would be fine, but there is nothing in this pic that shows a return spring of any kind.

When she opens the throttle, the linkage either pulls the governor arm along for the ride and opens the carb or, if there is enough throw, puts tension on the spring between the two linkages when the governor arm hits the gear and stops. When she lets off the throttle the cable goes slack. If there was no spring tension, then everything sits stationary in the wide open throttle position with a slack cable. If there was spring tension, then it pulls the throttle linkage back to idle but in turn, closes the gap between the two linkages which puts the governor arm in a wide open throttle still. In wide open throttle, the governor arm is blocked up against the internal gear so that arm won't move with out some kind of a return helper.
This is my sketchy understanding of how this all works. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

All that blah blah blah said..... I just acquired the motor from a mini bike on CL. The previous owner had just set the throttle directly to the carb without removing the governor itself, only the linkage. Parts were missing from this engine, and I'm a complete newb so I'm just trying to piece everything together as best I can and get it cobbled together. I absolutely want to keep the governor intact and working and also use the throttle stop cause this mini will be for my mini man when he's old enough.

Kenny give you a good way to hook up your throttle all you need is a L bracket and a 1/4'' brass fitting like this in the pic. Drill a hole in the blower housing and mount the L bracket, screw the fitting in the other end of the bracket and stick the cable in it. Parts can be got at most hardware stores, Lowes or Home Depot.

Yes you need a return spring. The green one drawn in should work fine. Just test it on the bench first before sending the offsprings out on it. :thumbsup:

ok! I appreciate your help. It's been frustrating me something awful. I need to find a "for dummies" book and start from the beginning.