GS Bug

T-Town Mini

Garage Sale Doodle Bug

I found this at a garage sale in rough shape missing its engine and throttle control, etc. I couldn't pass it up since the price was right. $25.00

It's been well used. The forks have a slight bend as do the handle bars so, its had a crash or two in its lifetime. The fenders are beat up quite a bit, too. I don't think I'll reuse them, though... Something else will substitute.

What model Doodle bug is this? Most all the stickers on the bike were painted over but, there is a serial number:

T-Town Mini

The brake caliper looks functional...it's the crappy cable that's keeping them from working. I have a replacement that'll require some "Americanization" to the control lever.

The rotor is good and spins true as does the wheel's sprocket.

T-Town Mini

It's seat is torn up but still useable. I don't know if I'll replace it. Wheels & bearings are in excellent condition. Front tire is good but the rear is worn bald and doesn't look original. I'll likely replace both tires.

T-Town Mini

After cleaning it up and starting with the teardown...no major problems have been found so far. Just the front forks need some work straightening out.

No real rust...only chipped up paint. I don't want to keep it red so I'll be thinking of what color to paint it with before adding new parts to it.

T-Town Mini

Awesome deal , I p/u a Predator for mine Friday , $104.63 out the door w/super coupon !
:thumbsup:

Yeah, I'd love to have one of those to put on it but, I might look for something used first. Maybe, I'll put my Tecumseh on the DB and play with it a little before getting rid of it.

Then, I can add a Predator to my Bonanza.

Great deal there. A guy at work offered me one for free but I got 3 already so i declined. Tried to talk him into rebuilding it for his kids but his wife......

I have a set of scorpions. Tread life has been good but there is no sidewall strength. They only want like 3.6lbs of air. I hate them.

A better stiffer tire is the snow hog. Summit is selling them on ebay for under $21. with $5. or less shipping. Here's an item number 181315321262

Last edited:

T-Town Mini

I have a set of scorpions. Tread life has been good but there is no sidewall strength. They only want like 8lbs of air. I hate them.

A better stiffer tire is the snow hog. Summit is selling them on ebay for under $21. with $5. or less shipping. Here's an item number 181315321262
Well, I won't be buying the scorpions then...thanks for the heads up advice.

The Snow Hog is a good tire and that's a good deal on them. I've seen them before on bikes but, I think they're too aggressive a tire for general use. They've got to be great on dirt & mud and in the snow.

I think I'd rather have something like a turf tire where someone can ride on a variety of surfaces and go anywhere they want. A street tire would even be ok...I'd go for that but they're more expensive. I really want to keep it around $50.00 for the pair.

I'll keep them in mind, though.

Well I like the snow hogs. I just ordered up pair and also a pair of the Xtrac in the same size. I'm hoping the sidewalls on the Xtrac are as sturdy as the snow hogs. I'll decide on which pair I install on my speed bike when they get here.

Another thing about the Scorpions, when I lay on the throttle and get over 40mph they have a tendency to balloon much like a dragster tire. A little unnerving when your life is riding on a tire not meant to be driven as fast as they are being driven. I was wrong about the air pressure, it's not 8lbs, it's 3.6lbs. 24lbs to set the bead. I'm running them at 8 to 10lbs. Still too low an air pressure to suit me.

The snowhogs ride pretty good on the street. I hope the Xtrac are as smooth. If you want an unsmooth ride try a stock motovox chevron style tire. You feel every ridge in the tire.

T-Town Mini

Last edited:

T-Town Mini

The tires are on order and I've already got the old rubber dismounted in anticipation of receiving the Xtracks.

I'm currently working on scraping off the red coat the DB came with. Once that's done and the tubes are sanded clean I'll put on some primer.

The original colors, as I understand, were either Red, Green or, Yellow. A majority of them I've seen have been red so, I don't think I want that...it's not out of the question though. Hunter green would be ok...I'd like to do a dark olive drab but that's already been done before. I like the CAT yellow one member did to his so...yellow has been done already.

Maybe, black or something metal flake. I don't know what to paint it with.

The tires are on order and I've already got the old rubber dismounted in anticipation of receiving the Xtracks.

I'm currently working on scraping off the red coat the DB came with. Once that's done and the tubes are sanded clean I'll put on some primer.

The original colors, as I understand, were either Red, Green or, Yellow. A majority of them I've seen have been red so, I don't think I want that...it's not out of the question though. Hunter green would be ok...I'd like to do a dark olive drab but that's already been done before. I like the CAT yellow one member did to his so...yellow has been done already.

Maybe, black or something metal flake. I don't know what to paint it with.
Send it out for chrome, I dont think that's been done yet. Ok so there went the budget

My snow hogs came today, xtracs due in tomorrow. Figures the ones I want the most come last

OK the xtracs arrived. First impressions is the sidewall strength is comparable to the snowhog. They are a squared edge tire, hopefully once aired up on the rim they'll round out some like the picture.Recommended pressure is 20 on the xtrac and 30 on the snowhog.

I'll mount an xtrac on the back tomorrow. I haven't decided yet if I will run one on the front. I'll wait until after I air one up. I'm thinking though an xtrac on the back and a snowhog on the front would be better.

T-Town Mini

My Xtracs arrived fast in only 2 days after placing my an order. Mounting them nearly kicked my butt...but, I managed to get them on the rims.

Inflating them was another story. I only have a small tankless compressor and couldn't get them to take any air. I tried strapping them but without a ratchet there was no use compressing the tire at all. So, I took them to a local Hibdon Tires and the guys there were happy to seat the beads for me.

I mounted an xtrac on the back of my fast bike today. I had to strap it to seat the bead. It's too square I think for a front tire so I'll mount up a snowhog tomorrow. With just the one stiff tire it made a world of difference in handling. Much less squirrely. Only thing left is tread life. I mounted a tach/hour meter today so I can see how many hours it lives.