GS Bug

T-Town Mini

I've got a few things painted so far. The foot pegs are sprayed with truck bed liner as will be a set of smaller fenders that I'll be using.

The kickstand and axle spacers have been painted satin black and all tabs on the frame will also be painted the same black.

T-Town Mini

The Frame has been stripped. sanded and primed and can now be set aside as I begin work on the front forks.

I've narrowed the final color choice down to two metal flake color options from Duplicolor. The Garage Sale Doodle Bug will either be Blue or Red metal flake. I'm leaning towards going back to red even though I originally said I didn't want to. :shrug:

Last edited:

GustoGuy

The brake caliper looks functional...it's the crappy cable that's keeping them from working. I have a replacement that'll require some "Americanization" to the control lever.

The rotor is good and spins true as does the wheel's sprocket.
What a great find. $25.00 is a cheap way to feed the addiction.:anon.sml: Hello may name is T-Town Mini and I am a minibike addict.:biggrin: Upgrade to the Hydraulic one which Brad sells on Hot rod minibikes. The stock brake is so bad compared to the braking power of the hydraulic brake. You have to get a Motovox front end now and they are $153.00 or so. Oh when will the addiction end:confused:

Last edited:

GustoGuy

Great deal there. A guy at work offered me one for free but I got 3 already so i declined. Tried to talk him into rebuilding it for his kids but his wife......
LOL. Yes I have one of them too and I am always upgrading and tweaking my toys too. I put a clutch kit and a set of Thunderdomes in My Polaris XLT as well as a 1 inch full paddle lug Polaris Snow King Special track and a set of Simmons Flexi skis because I want it to go faster. :smile:A couple years ago I built up my stock Doodle Bug and I replaced the 2.8hp engine with the Predator 6.5 from Harbor Freight and now it rip snorts.

T-Town Mini

Looks better with a third application. This paint is very thin...like a candy paint...the more layers that goes on the deeper the color comes out in appearance.

I should've used a silver base coat instead of putting it on over the primer. I did wet sand the primer before painting but it would've come out better with a shiny layer underneath.

It turned out looking more metallic than metal-flake due to the "flakes" being so fine. A layer of clear would improve the shine but, I'll leave it as is. :glare:

Looks better with a third application. This paint is very thin...like a candy paint...the more layers that goes on the deeper the color comes out in appearance.

I should've used a silver base coat instead of putting it on over the primer. I did wet sand the primer before painting but it would've come out better with a shiny layer underneath.

It turned out looking more metallic than metal-flake due to the "flakes" being so fine. A layer of clear would improve the shine but, I'll leave it as is. :glare:
With the dark blue metallic 2 coats of clear added depth and made the flake pop. Then after a couple years of not washing, nothing has depth or pop.

T-Town Mini

I clear coated the GS DB and it does indeed make it "pop"...Thanks Camjamsdad for your input. The clear is an absolute must when using this paint.

Assembly started as soon as the paint had dried for 24 hours.

T-Town Mini

I picked this up this past weekend and I've been working on getting it degreased, etc. for evaluation.
If I can get it running maybe I'll use it on the DB...

The roller looks great ! T-town and Camjamsdad , let us know what y'all end up thinking about the xtracs vs snow hogs , as I have 2 more now to build , lol . And if you can put it in your budget the Motovox front end is awesome . Also curious about your choice of fenders ? Look really cool but don't look like they will stop a lot of slinging debris ?

T-Town Mini

Thanks, chipper.

Yeah, those fenders won't do much and are basically just for show. I really don't like the look of the originals as they're much too "fat" in appearance. The smaller ones make it look "sportier" I suppose. Opinions will differ on that but, if fits my personal preference.

The Xtracs will no doubt sling some mud so, we'll see how they turn out.

Last edited:

T-Town Mini

The Briggs 3HP just fits in the DB frame leaving virtually no fore and aft adjustment. The tank clears the fender mount by about a quarter inch before hitting it. The oil drain plug in front has about the same distance before making contact with the foot peg tube.

I can replace the drain plug with a set screw to gain another 1/2 inch or so.

I'm not interested in an adapter plate or cutting off the fender bracket so, I'll just have to make it work.