harbor freight 90 amp flux wire welder

Oldsalt

Sure it will be strong enough. If you have not welded with one before get some 14 ga. and some 1/8th or so thick metal and get a little practice before welding your projects. There is a reason that God made grinders.

my HF gas welder:
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/72189-new-me-baja-warrior-3.html#post622706
found i like argon better than flux. easier to control. ran out of gas, bought flux wire, welds were cr%p. getting gas tomorrow.

Flux is easy to throw on and go, but does take a lot longer to get any good at.

Argon will make you look like a professional quicker. LOL

Just be sure to get a big enough bottle so as not to run out in the middle of a project. :)

I bought like a 6" x 24" bottle that has always been plenty big enough to get me through projects, yet small enough to store away.

All this saying that the Mig you bought can be converted to gas vs flux?

Hey 5brigs I have the same welder and find it works great but you will need to buy some good quaility wire for it , it will cost twice as much as the cheap wire but the difference is amazing.
When I first got mine I tried the spool that came with it and was very pissed and ready to smash it with a hammer lol bought a spool of good lincoln wire and was happy again lol
The frame for my twin engine drag bike "Slowpoke" from last years buildoff was welded with that same machine.
Good luck and practice practice practice

On my last trip to the USA I bought one of these welders at the HF in Buffalo ( near the airport, they seemed quite used to Canadian off the plane lol ).

It does exactly what is claimed.
Its inexpensive ( mine was on sale for 79 dollars ).
The welds are not nice to look at but if I stand next to them everyone thinks they look better.
Important thing is grind clean and make another pass is required.

reverse polarity of working leads and the flux will weld beautifully:thumbsup:
i will remember that next time i use flux, thanks.

Flux is easy…
Just be sure to get a big enough bottle so as not to run out in the middle of a project. :)
All this saying that the Mig you bought can be converted to gas vs flux?
my last bottle lasted over 2 years, next to the biggest, portable contractor size.
mine uses gas or flux. was 200.00 several years ago, 8 or 9 yrs?

I have one of these as well. I learned to MIG using a Millermatic 250. Then I bought this machine for cheap. Boy was I disappointed. I went from being able to put down some pretty beads, to piles of chicken poo. After some practice and better flux wire I felt pretty good. I keep it in my shed in case I need to stick something together around the house. I got a MM252 for my birthday a few years ago and that is my shop mig.

toomanytoys

I have one. I use it to stick to pieces of metal together. I am by no means a pro welder. I know I can however weld a lot better with the nice miller shopmates at work than I can with the harbor freight one !

I have been using the HF 90 amp for about a year now. Definitely yes on the Lincoln wire. Do that and save some frustration. I am starting to weld some 1" Square tubing, and it does a great job. But on this metal you have to be fast, and have the heat cranked on high. Unfortunately the geniuses that made it only give you two settings. But I can lay down some decent welds with it, but it does most of the time require two passes. Works great with a 1/16" gap though.