harley blocks

gbones

my uncle has a '73 harley, and a '61 harely. well hes been working on the '73, put a new kick starter in. while doing the kick starter he noticed a crack in the block, somebody did a quick fix with jb weld. he would rather have it welded, since i have the welder in the family i guess im gonna do it for him. my ? is, what wire and gas should i use, and would flux core be ok? ive never welded aluminum, and i heard mig isnt the way to go but thats what i have. he said looks dont matter becuase you cant see it when the motor is mounted. the black with flames is the '73 he hates the flames but thats how he bought it, and the silver is the '61. ive never rode a harley before but i sat on them the other day and man their heavy. maybe im just weak. thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

Never seen flux core for aluminum and have no idea if it is a worthwhile application for the aluminum case. Mig [with the proper gas], which we used to call SIGMA, is workable but I'd use a TIG. Of course you'll need the proper weld preparation and really good deoiling. Aluminum castings seem to soak up oil that plate and bar does not. If the casting has a flat machined surface it is best to clamp it down on a heavy plate to minimize warpage. Also warm up the entire part with a torch before starting to weld. After welding allow it to cool as slowly as possible.

I been looking for a iron head Sportster so I enjoy seeing the pics. I suggest you don't ride ether of them machines. One lap around the block and you will be addicted to real motorcycles.

If you've never welded aluminum before, this probably isn't the project to learn on. Find a junk case to practice on first. On the other hand, JB weld is great stuff. If it was working OK before, you might want to leave it as it was.

I say that Tom S. has a great point as the case on any Harley is also one of the main Vin number that the DMV goes by, if the case is ruined by experimental welding practices then you loose twice. If the JB has held then move on and leave it be.
Steve :scooter:

gbones

i got a visit from my uncle yesterday. i guess his GF ran over his '61 harley yesterday, i guess its pretty bad. forks, front rim, handle bars, tranny are fu@#ed plus scrapes and dents. im waiting for pics of the damage. its the silver harley.

gbones

he had to leave the house yesterday, he is so pissed at her, thats why he came to my place. i guess the blue book isnt that much, so i guess either way hes screwd.:sadcrying4: