Has anyone built their own muffler?

I am looking for photos, ideas, cutaways for building a muffler. I am trying to visualize the inside, and where baffle holes should be, etc.

Any help appreciated.

It will be for a 9HP Honda.

I made one for my generator .It is an oval of about 4 inches and 7 inches long.Check this video out Deconstructed: How Mufflers Work : Video : Science Channel You will have to wait for ad to play first. Mine looks just like the inside of this one if I were to do it again I would go to auto store and get some packing and put in it also. I used 1/2 and 3/4 electric conduit besides the oval tube I got from work. The cross sections I cut sheet metal in oval shape and welded everything together and slide inside tube and welded ends. It works ok and better than what was on there but for generator I think I would buy a lawn tractor one off of ebay for about 25.00 and mod inlet. I did it this way because I'm cheap and had all the stuff and it was kind of a fun challenge. My pictures here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/upload/edit/?ids=6752274593,6752274901,

I made one for my generator .It is an oval of about 4 inches and 7 inches long.Check this video out Deconstructed: How Mufflers Work : Video : Science Channel You will have to wait for ad to play first. Mine looks just like the inside of this one if I were to do it again I would go to auto store and get some packing and put in it also. I used 1/2 and 3/4 electric conduit besides the oval tube I got from work. The cross sections I cut sheet metal in oval shape and welded everything together and slide inside tube and welded ends. It works ok and better than what was on there but for generator I think I would buy a lawn tractor one off of ebay for about 25.00 and mod inlet. I did it this way because I'm cheap and had all the stuff and it was kind of a fun challenge. My pictures here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/upload/edit/?ids=6752274593,6752274901,
I can't seem to get your link to your photos to work. Based on your description, it sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I'll check out the video link now.

Thanks!

I have built "Steel Pack" mufflers for a Model A Ford, but never a chambered style muffler. I would like to though.
The "Steel Pack" mufflers were a smaller tube with holes punched / drilled in it that were wrapped in Stainless Steel Wool, inserted into a larger aluminized tube that was capped at each end. It worked well. If I did it again I would wrap the Steel Wool with a layer of fiberglass matting before inserting it into the larger pipe in a attempt to reduce heat the muffler gives off.

Last edited: