Hawg Ty 5.5hp problems

Keeff

So i got a Hawg Ty 5.5hp mini bike toady and it looks great after some paint and tune up.

The issue I'm having is that it starts in 2-3 pulls but then once i runs even a little while and get warm it dies. Then i have to wait for it to cool down before it'll start again.

I have no idea where to even start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also looking at how to remove the governor once I get her running smoothly, so if anyone knows how to do that also.

Keeff

ok first off my fault about asking about the governor. i went and read the forum rules and i apologize.

now back to my issue at hand. I cleaned the carb and that did help however anytime i go to remove the chock it kills.

There is also a small lever behind the chock where that long spring attaches to, anytime the motor is about to die if i play with that level it wont kill right away. I don't think this is the throttle as that is a larger metal level above it. If that has anything to do with gov then forget i said anything about that.

I am not that engine savvy as you can probably tell so any advise is welcome advise.

I did mill through the forums and found a pdf manual for the bike but not the motor. If anyone has one for the 5.5hp motor if you could please post link.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

buckeye

I am guessing but isn't your carb in need of adjustmemt. Or is it a primer bulb carb? Your are not getting enough gas, so it dyin out. I guess. I would fiddle with the carb adjustments and then throw a hammer to make it work. Someone will know for sure.

rmm727

I am guessing but isn't your carb in need of adjustmemt. Or is it a primer bulb carb? Your are not getting enough gas, so it dyin out. I guess. I would fiddle with the carb adjustments and then throw a hammer to make it work. Someone will know for sure.
This is a clone engine so there are no adjustments aside from an idle mixture screw that needs a slot clut in it with a dremel. After that the carb needs heated to loosen the glue used during assembly. You can buy low speed jets and main jets or they can be drillled. www.4cycle.com has a lot of info for working with these engines.

MikeBear

Have you checked the oil? I would drain it completely, then replace with fresh. Make sure it has the right amount. If it heats up and quits, it could be oil starved and overheating a bit. So, it shuts down to protect itself.

MikeBear

See someone knows. I'd still be throwing hammers.
:shrug: :doah: :laugh:

You don't THROW the hammer, you hold it OVER the bike so it can see it, and tell it to WORK, or else you will smack it a good one!

By the way, that works for sure with computers! :laugh:

Keeff

OK so after completely tearing down and cleaning the carb it came down to it would only run if the choke was closed and even then would spit and spud-er.

After about 45sec it died and never started again, so I'm going the simple route. New motor. I'm getting a 6.5hp 212cc from HF in the morning and ill just keep old one around.

http://www.harborfreight.com/predator-212-cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-certified-for-all-states-except-california-68120.html

;.; I just want to ride the damn thing now. I've had it for a couple of days and never got to ride it.

Last edited:

Keeff

Well the new motor is in, she goes about 30 without doing anything to motor other then limiter screw and i couldn't be happier.

I'll post some pics after i paint her and get all the stickers that were on it when i bought it off the tank and fenders.
:scooter:

Keeff

Also while working on mine, my dad put a new head light and tail lights on his.
He even has a skull meant for a truck hitch on the back of the sissy bar. Its so cool its eyes light red for running lights and gets brighter for brake.

You still have the old motor?
Pop the dowl pins out of the HF engines block and the 5.5 head should bolt on.
add the flywheel for a littl timing advance and you will notice some more pep out of it yet

Did the new engine just bolt right in? I just got two of these bikes off craigslist cheap and have a predator engine laying around I plan to put in.