Head talk

Porting and test fit of the intake bowl insert.
I am plowing ahead with this but this insert is kind of shallow and i think I need some thicker aluminum.

But here's a view of what I have so far.

You can just make out the insert sitting here.
If it werew a bit thicker it would make for a better transition from the runner floor to the back of the bowl.

Without a flow bench is impossible to say what kind of real flow effect this will have.
This is all just a crap shoot based on a hunch.

There is so much I just don't know about this head.
Like how far I can pull the bowl down for starters.

Hello, NOS

This is some work a shop did for me. The black around the valve stem is grease, no valve guide in the hole.

Maybe that mill will help?

NOS,

I have been collecting parts to build a nice clone. I think the head I have will work fine.

The head your working on is looking good. It looks like it will have high compression. Are you not concerned about shrouding the valves?

Need some help!!! I bought a 14cc head from arcracing that said the stock valves would work in it. When i took the valves out of the stock head the valve stems are to small for the new head. What size valves do i need to make this head work?

Need some help!!! I bought a 14cc head from arcracing that said the stock valves would work in it. When i took the valves out of the stock head the valve stems are to small for the new head. What size valves do i need to make this head work?
You had better contact ARC and find out more details on the parrts you have.
I really can't comment other than say most of my parts come from ARC.

OK, I will do that for sure. Yea my head came with the 3mm valve stems and the old ones are 5.5mm stems. I'll just have to buy new valves and retainers, thanks anyway.

I did a welded Hemi head engine, (dual springs, titanium valves, roller rockers..etc). I have pics on my facebook, and on the Poboys page on facebook. It turned out to be a real good engine (hasn't blowed yet..LOL)
Barry Young

Last edited:
FYI Marc at race city tools made me up a prototype hemi head holder to allow compound angles to be set so you can get the valve seat parallel and aligned with the quill so I can replace/ bore out new larger seat pockets. Works great. I think he is now selling them. It can also be locked flat so you use the bottom adapter to tram the head and hold it for milling. It has the cutouts to clear the rocker pedestals.

intake port bowl insert

Porting and test fit of the intake bowl insert.
I am plowing ahead with this but this insert is kind of shallow and i think I need some thicker aluminum.

But here's a view of what I have so far.

You can just make out the insert sitting here.
If it were a bit thicker it would make for a better transition from the runner floor to the back of the bowl.

Without a flow bench is impossible to say what kind of real flow effect this will have.
This is all just a crap shoot based on a hunch.

There is so much I just don't know about this head.
Like how far I can pull the bowl down for starters.
I think your basing your idea on a pretty good hunch, i like the insert approach. Welding that bowl roof would be challenging even for a seasoned welder using a spool gun and pre heat, it would be hard to see what the hell you were doing.
But really to get the most out of this port this area has to be addressed.
Were you thinking epoxy to retain the piece? you could use a small pin or screws as well through the port wall behind the spark plug,

Your final product will look more like what is commonly found on a motor cycle engine.