Header temperature ?

I have a Predator Hemi and have installed the Stage 1 build up kit from OldMiniBikes.
I did a nice job of painting the header pipe with 500 degree "high temp" paint. Well...I finally got all my last pieces put on the bike and started my engine for the first time tonight.
Wow... the paint started to smoke and stunk me right out of the garage. I ran the engine about 5 minutes on and off. It seemed to
ease off after a bit, but I'm wondering if I need to repaint it with something with a higher temp rating, or strip it all off and leave it natural.
What have you guys done?

Gadget Man

capguncowboy

500º paint won't work on an exhaust. You need to do at least the 1200º paint, and even then sometimes, it will burn off.

Personally, I like the heat and oil treatment. Basically, get it as hot as you can and drip oil on it. It'll impregnate the metal and prevent it from rusting

Oh Crap, so I guess I'll have to chemically strip off the paint and start over. I don't want it smoking and burning every time I ride it.
Now, as far as this oil treatment, how do you heat it up, in the oven or with a torch? how hot is hot?
Then do you basically pour a line of oil right across the pipe?
This is something I'd like to try

CarPlayLB

I use VHT header paint...and I read the instructions too! It is important to cure the paint. I paint it and let it dry for 3-4 days. After that I mount to a fixture and put it in the gas BBQ. 3 cycles. First time ...rare. Second time ...medium. Third time...well done! Holds up well and looks good!

^^ what he said , 2000 degree header paint and if you have a torch , burn the hell outta that pipe and then sand it and you'll get much better adhesion !!

When you repaint it with the (proper) exhaust pipe/muffler paint make sure and read (AND EXACTLY FOLLOW) the paint curing instructions provided by the manufacturer on the can or you will screw it up again.
Michael

After double checking, I found out my paint was only 500 degree engine enamel, not exhaust header paint.
And there were no special instructions on the can about how to deal with high temps.
Oh well, I used the black paint on other parts.
I've decided to strip it off and have already ordered some black exhaust wrap from E-bay. It was only $16.00 with the SS zip ties and free shipping. I'm sure "good" high temp exhaust paint would be half of that cost anyway.
I think the exhaust wrap will look better anyway.