Heald Hauler....Project "Time Burglar"

When I ordered the sprocket from Ron he told me an "easy" way to to mount it. He said that if I tried to take the whole axle apart chances are that the bearings and brake rotors would fight me every step of the way, and that they were probably a rusty mess so that removal surely would trash them. Instead, he suggested taking the diff apart, then slide the spider gear off of the axle and then slide the diff half off with the sprocket. Sounds good in theory, but unfortunately the end of the axle was mushroomed so the gear wouldn't slide off. Didn't bother to take some pics, but it turned out that after soaking the bearings and rotors for a couple weeks in blaster was ineffective. I tried to get it apart in my press but there was no way I could do it without trashing the rotor.
I stared at it for an hour or so, and finally it hit me. Took the die grinder to the mushroomed end, and carefully ground off just enough material so the gear would come off. Took less than ten minutes:laugh:. Threw the new sprocket on, and bolted the diff back together and mounted it all up. Now I can finish mocking up the rest of the brakes:thumbsup:

Do you happen to remember the size of the brake line that connects the calipers and where you purchased it? I removed mine and it broke on the small end that fits into the angled piece.

Also, to remove the front wheel does the shock just come out of the fork so that you can remove the wheel? I am having difficulty getting the wheel off to replace the tire.

Hello, and welcome to the forum! Please take some time to introduce yourself, and post some pictures of your project! We love to see what people are working on.
You are correct, pull the upper bolt in the forks on both sides so the springs will fall out the bottom. Then you can disassemble the axle to remove your wheel. As for the brakes, nothing fancy. Just an 18" length of 3/16 brake hose, double female end. Then I just made a couple 2-3" jumpers out of hard line to thread into the calipers. Got it all at NAPA.