Heald Super Bronc Restoration - Need input

Hi Guys,

Well I'm finally getting around to planning the restoration of my 1981 VT-1012 Super Bronc and would like some opinions on how to approach this restoration for the 2018 build-off. As some of you know, I have restored dozens of 71 - 75 Rupp & Speedway mini bikes over the last 20 years. Some are nice riders and others are high level show bikes. Lately, I've started to build custom bikes like the Rupp Enduro I entered in the 2017 Build-off.

For the Super Bronc I could play it safe and do a typical show restoration back to its original condition with show chrome, but that's been done before, many times over and seems kinda boring. The only upgrade that I will definitely have is high polish aluminum rims.

My original plan was to powder coat the frame candy apple red because I thought it would look good with the polished aluminum rims and rechromed fenders and handlebars and call it a day. But then I decided to go rouge and do a resto-mod and bag the original Tecumseh 10hp, use the Briggs Animal motor I have collecting dust un my bench along with other off-road accessories. Maybe add a LED light bar in place the headlight and paint it bright metallic green to give it an obnoxious off-road look.

So here's where I would like some input from the forum :)

NOTE- I get asked all of the time what's the proper way to restore a classic vintage mini bike? I always give the same answer...If you want to sell it for top dollar then make it as original as possible. If you want it for yourself, then make it your own as custom as you want it.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Charlie

Here's the bike as it sits now. What you can't see is that the front tire has a big gash which makes it very difficult to move. I did get a new seat from Karen (manchester1) and a few goodies from Bryan (jeep2003)

Thanks for the suggestion Karen. That was my first instinct until I started looking closer at the bike and determined it's been hacked. The good news is that I only paid $200 for the bike.

Unfortunately the frame and wheels were painted along with the black handlebars. Even the rear shocks got painted. Lastly, someone cut off the upper engine stabilizing bracket and brazed it back on in the wrong location. As a result the frame mounted gas tank didn't fit properly. After I took the picture I did cut off the bracket and will reweld it in the correct location before it gets powder coated.

This is the bright metallic green I'm considering. I found this picture from a previous build-off. Not sure if it got finished.

Last edited:
Everyone needs a Heald in their mini fleet. I like my VT5 better than the Supers I have had. The one thing I did was to change out the stock handle bars. They always felt loose and in the wrong spot. I went with some comfortable Harley bars which make a huge difference.

Everyone needs a Heald in their mini fleet. I like my VT5 better than the Supers I have had. The one thing I did was to change out the stock handle bars. They always felt loose and in the wrong spot. I went with some comfortable Harley bars which make a huge difference.
I agree the SB handlebars are loose fitting at best. Which Harley bars did you go with and how did you mount them?

I left the original tubes sticking up instead of cutting them flush in case I or future generations wanted to go back to stock. I just used Harley risers and mounted to the top plate. There are many different styles of bars so its all personal preference. I usually buy handlebars at swapmeets. They can usually be bought for $5-$20 easily.. Nice heavy duty chrome bars for $5 so you cant go wrong.

I just read an old post from RobertC and Ron Kimball is quoted as saying they were painted IH, International Harvester red. I'm having our Eshelman body powder coated Fire Engine red. The two are very close in color. There aren't many powder suppliers with a rich, red, color palate.
Hope this helps,
Steve