Heald Super? Bronc Restore

Hi all,

I was able to grab this Heald Bronc this week. It was advertised as a Super Bronc with a 10 HP motor. It came with what you see in the photos as well as some NOS cables for brakes and throttle as well as an original fender, seat, screw in muffler, and some other brackets for a plastic gas tank. I was able to score this for $250 and I am trying to figure out how much more I will need to pour into it to get it restored to like new condition with correct parts.

So far, I have determined that the motor is a HM80 155042A Tecumseh; I think this is a 8 horse motor, if so, is this the correct motor? There is a torque converter on the left side with a clutch brake set up for braking.

I haven't had much time to look it over yet for a serial number on the frame, but I plan on taking a bunch of photos to help with identification this weekend.

My goal for this weekend is to figure out what parts are needed to get the motor running (and find out if it runs). To do that i need to do the following:

1. Figure out how the throttle assembly is hooked up and if I have the right parts to connect everything correctly; if you have one of these motors, detailed photos showing the assembly would be greatly appreciated.
2. Figure out what parts I need to acquire to get the carburetor assembled correctly; right now there is no air-filter or anything on the intake side of the carb. I'll take some pictures showing where that is at.
3. Figure out what parts are missing from the exhaust. More pics will follow of this area.
4. Figure out if the plastic gas tank is good and if I need to get new fuel line and how to route it.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any/all info on what model/year this appears to be based upon the frame/motor as I'd like to do this one some justice in restoring it.

Well I started tearing into things this morning. I'm trying to tackle the motor and brakes first. I figure if I can stop and go, the rest is just cosmetic.

I scoured the bike for a serial number, but none could be found. Any ideas on where it may be? If there isn't one, I took a bunch of photos of the frame for folks to help identify.

I also took a bunch of photos of the motor and what's left of the throttle assembly. Is black a stock color? If not, could someone help me determine what color did these motors came in originally? Is there a certain type/brand of paint to use on a motor? I've never painted one.

Also, did the torque converters come painted?

Here's the photos for the fist 30 minuted this morning.

No dice on the serial number.

I worked on trying to get the motor to run all weekend. No dice there either.

I'm taking it to a guy tomorrow to have a look at it. I'll see if he can get it going. Otherwise this will be a long wait as well until I get a new motor.

butch63

try on the underside of the front seat hinge? looks like some one welded brackets to the frame to replace the shocks:eek: you have the brake drum, need the band brake. call ron kimball 1-800-535-9529. he worked at heald& still has parts & info. here's mine