Help Starting HS40

All in good fun!

Here's what the carb looks like. Seems like there was a lot of gunk in the "main screw"/needle part. I'm going to soak it in carb cleaner overnight.

Here are some pics. Do you think this is the original carb?

What is the silver pointy thing? It just kind of fell out..

Carb Pictures

Last edited:

buckeye

Yeah, that is nasty for sure.

The,silver thing is your needle for the needle and seat.
It keeps gas from continually flowing into the carb.
There is a tiny rubber donut that needs to be,evaluated and with the way everything else looks, replaced.

buckeye

After you remove the bowl, look straight down.
It is the big hole. Look at pic #1. See the white donut in the bottom of the hole?
That's it. When you put a new one in. Be sure you put it in right.
I changed phones or I would post ya a pic.
You just need to clean and rebuild that mess.

Last edited:

markus

If you buy a new carb I'd give you $15 shipped for that old one. The new ones from OldMiniBikes (what Minibikin' is talking about) even usually come in shippable little box that can fit them just great for sending first class. Just throwing that out there :smile:

I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible, so I may attempt to rebuild the carb, but if I change my mind, I'll let you know.

I did also notice that when I drained the gas from the tank, there wasn't a good flow, even with the cap screw unscrewed as far as it would go before coming out. I had to unscrew the cap a little bit for it to flow. I'm not sure if that could have contributed to the no start.

Also, does spraying starting fluid in the intake bypass the carb? If so, shouldn't the bike have started from the fumes, assuming everything else was working properly except for the carb?

capguncowboy

Basically, the end of the carb where the breather attaches is the main hallway into the engine. The gasoline is siphoned up from the bowl at about the midpoint of that hallway. So yes, spraying starting fluid into the breather will get the fluid into the engine even if the carb isn't working. The problem is that it might not be enough to make it run for more than a pop or two at a time. If the carb is dirty, then the engine isn't going to be able to pull gas into it.

Get a carb kit and change out the needle and seat (the little off-white doughnut in the 10 o'clock position of your first picture), and check your fuel line/cap for any issues that might hinder the flow of gas. Then try to fire it up. I bet you get a different result.

Thanks, that makes sense. I just ordered a carb kit.

Hoping to have her started on the 4th! I'm still a little worried about the flywheel screeching so I'm going to take a look at that while I'm waiting for the kit to arrive.

Any tips on finding an OEM seat, or recommendations for aftermarket seat?

capguncowboy

What kind of bike is it? There are a few members here that make some nice seats. Karen (Manchester1) does some fine work from what I've seen. There are a few sellers on Ebay that have some nice seats that are decently priced as well.

OldMiniBikes (they run this site) has some too. Decently priced and fairy quick shipping too.

capguncowboy

It looks long, but I don't know the length. I would probably just order a seat for it and make it work.

Basic 19" seat from OldMiniBikes for $46 plus shipping (free shipping on orders over $99). Might be a little long though

19" Minibike Seat

This one is a little more appealing for about $80 shipped on Ebay

Black Orange Mini Bike Seat | eBay

There are lots of seats out there, but finding an exact match for your bike might be hard. If you can find a member to take some measurements and pictures of theirs for you, I'm sure one of our resident upholsterers would be happy to make you a seat for a fee

It looks long, but I don't know the length. I would probably just order a seat for it and make it work.

Basic 19" seat from OldMiniBikes for $46 plus shipping (free shipping on orders over $99). Might be a little long though

19" Minibike Seat

This one is a little more appealing for about $80 shipped on Ebay

Black Orange Mini Bike Seat | eBay

There are lots of seats out there, but finding an exact match for your bike might be hard. If you can find a member to take some measurements and pictures of theirs for you, I'm sure one of our resident upholsterers would be happy to make you a seat for a fee
Awesome, I will see if I can get some measurements of the original seat.

Thanks I will give that a try.

Anything else I can do to "tune" up the engine while I'm waiting for the carb kit?

I notice that I do have too much slack on the pull cord that turns the flywheel. Is that a problem? Can I just cut some off?