help with aluminum flywheel 6.5

i have a 6.5 Honda motor with the stock steel flywheel,i have put a 5.5 head on it which has made a good bit of difference and tying to get a little more out of it , i came across a 5.5 (160) push lawnmower with an aluminum flywheel, will this work and if so is there any thing i need to do, and do you think it will give me that much more?

Make sure it s the GXV160 flywheel. If it is its a direct bolt on.

What kind of bike is this for?

the aluminum flywheel is about 1/2 or 3/4 of a pound lighter. I think I prefer a heavier flywheel to a light one but it works and the mower flywheels is stronger at high rpms than the stock iron

not sure just keep the flywheel, coil and carb. and trashed the rest, i did get it cranked ,i had to file down the small ridge at the outside of the flywheel so that it would slide down far enough ( I thought), so the magnet would line up, it would not start so used the coil that came with it and still had to shim the coil up high enough to line up with magnet, it seem to be running a little advanced .it comes out of the hole good but seems not to have the torque it had with the heaver wheel. Ive got it on an 71 mtd that i modifed a little. thanks

i have a 6.5 Honda motor with the stock steel flywheel,i have put a 5.5 head on it which has made a good bit of difference and tying to get a little more out of it , i came across a 5.5 (160) push lawnmower with an aluminum flywheel, will this work and if so is there any thing i need to do, and do you think it will give me that much more?
I don't know about this thread. What are you guys up to? Does this push mower have a vertical crankshaft engine on it? Am I missing something??

You said you had to modify this to make it fit and honestly I have a bad feeling about that. This may not be a GVX160 flywheel.

Can you get a picture of this for us?

I'm not so sure you will loose torque as much as the lighter flywheel does not store as much energy at low speed. This makes for a lot of power and torque pulsation. At the higher end of the spectrum the engine should be a bit more responsive from say 4000 to 6000 rpm.

I realy like the 15 deg engine mount can I see more picture of that?
How much oil are you running like that about 14 or 16 ounces?

not sure just keep the flywheel, coil and carb. and trashed the rest, i did get it cranked ,i had to file down the small ridge at the outside of the flywheel so that it would slide down far enough ( I thought), so the magnet would line up, it would not start so used the coil that came with it and still had to shim the coil up high enough to line up with magnet, it seem to be running a little advanced .it comes out of the hole good but seems not to have the torque it had with the heaver wheel. Ive got it on an 71 mtd that i modifed a little. thanks

all i had to do was file the outside hole, it had a small lip on it and it would not go far enough down on the crank to fill snug on the crank, it still did not go down far enough to line up with the coil (the mower coil) and there i used two lock washers to bring it out should have used 3 but it runs fine rev's real quick but did back fire a couple of time when i first tried to start it, i will try to get some pic when i get back from the beach in a couple of days ,thanks

Oldschool, your right about the torque Iam pretty sure the belt is slipping, when i get back I'll tightened it up and try it again, to get more pic on the engine mount you can go to my pic, its just a stock mtd Columbia frame. about 14 ounces in the motor. thanks

Hmm.
Never heard of anyone using that.
GXV160 is a perfect drop in part GC160 is completely different animal.

backfires and shimming to make things work.
discomfort level with that mod is kind of high to be honest

In hind sight I am kind of concerned about that flywheel...
I'm going to repost this question on Bob's 4 cycle....

Last edited:
when i got back today I went out just to see how she would start and second pull, if you pull slow she'll kick back but if you pull quick there's no problem she revs up and runs great, ya think maybe its advance a little to much?