Help with Astro wheel

Vic32

I looking to put Astro wheels on my single down tube Rupp, OldMiniBikes says there sprockets won't fit. I have a scrub brake, and I am leavening it in tact. Anybody have the same problem, and what was the remedy. Thanks Vic:shrug

Vic32

Yes 5 spoke. It's a rascal frame I think 1970. I want to mount a flat sprocket to the rim. I have a scrub brake on the frame now.

Vic32

I called OldMiniBikes and they said the bolt pattern on their flat sprocket 66 tooth was not the same as the Azusa wheel.:shrug:

toomanytoys

It works fine that way. No need to fool with spacers and shims.

If you want to leave the scrub brake for looks that is cool, but seriously considering adding a better brake to it. Scrub brakes are mostly useless in my opinion. Wet tire = no brakes.

Clutch brakes are simply to install, cheap, and will LOCK up the rear wheel easy.

I don't have any pictures to share, but I handled the same problem a couple of years ago by machining five 7/8" stand offs about 2 1/4" long and a standard non-drilled 60 tooth sprocket that I drilled to the Astro's five lug pattern. You do have to have access to a machine shop to do it, and I did this before I had my lathe and a friend charged me 20.00 to do both opperations. I have to completely disagree about flapper brakes being ineffective... I love 'em! Clutch brakes are okay until you find yourself hurtling down a street and the chain comes off... Trust me on that one!

Vic32

I going back to my old faithful anchor hanging off the back. I will stop you on a dime and you will get penny change. :thumbsup:

george3

If you used the azusa brake. They dont work unless they are modified. I have done quite a few and they work really good if moded and your wheel or drum isnt bent or wobbly. They are a universal brake assembly with a few flaws. Out of the box they are junk if done rite the lock up good.

buckeye

This is a recurring theme.
Maybe if someone would write up a tech repair, it could be a useful tool for those experiencing the same issue.:shrug:

Hint....to george:laugh:

I thought I'd show this pict. If you click on it a time or two it will get big enough to kinda see whats going on. Look at the back wheel and where it is attached to the sprocket and you will see the simple "stand offs" I had machined to work for the is deal. Cheap and it worked great! I wish I ahd taken a few close up shots of this bike, 'cause last year I sold it at Lone Star Round Up in Texas to a fellow from Norway and I'll probably never see it again...

Vic32

George maybe you can give some detailed instructions, and some pic's would be a big help. Go fast mini bikes need brakes that work. Thanks

6" astro wheel spacer kit

Azusa has a spacer kit to put there sprockets on the astros call and ask Tony for the part number there brake works well weld a tab and go....The Azusa sprockets are very poor off center side to side shake ect....The sprockets taco mini bike joe sells are precision with a universal bolt pattern thats whats on the Monster tacos well woth the extra more in lack of frustration