Hernia surgery....

MikeBear

Anybody else here ever had hernia surgery? Looks like I developed one from both sides where the quack doctor did (botched) my vasectomy years ago. I never should have had one, it ruined me. I swear to God Blue Care Network found a guy that learned by fixing dogs and cats on his kitchen table. Stack 'em, and whack 'em. I had a massive infection right away, and I couldn't get them to fix it. You also couldn't sue an HMO in Michigan, even in cases of incompetence. I kept telling doctors over the years there was something wrong, but I never could get them to do anything until now that I've had a full "blow-out".

Right side needs surgery now, (it gets entrapped sometimes and hurts like hell, but so far I've been able to push it back in) and that's scheduled for October 25th.

Do I need to start freezing a lot of bags of peas? Any stories I need to hear about afterwards? :laugh: :shrug:

Bad doctors almost killed me last year. Three days in a coma. Be very carfull.
Another doctor told me I had a heart attack a few month ago. Wrong again.
It's really scarry. Do a web search.
Bullhead

Oh yea, had one on my right side, then 4 years later had one on my left side. The first one when I was 4 years old, the second when I was 8. Spent 3 days in the hospital each time. Of course, that was 50 years ago ( holy crap). Now I think its same day surgey, couple of hours and you're home resting. From what I understand, its not to bad now a days. Ha, easy for me to say. Good luck and speedy recovery. :scared:

Dang mike! I feel for you! I hope "push it back in doesnt mean what I think it does!":shrug::laugh: Hope all works out for you bro!:thumbsup:

MikeBear

Dang mike! I feel for you! I hope "push it back in doesnt mean what I think it does!":shrug::laugh: Hope all works out for you bro!:thumbsup:
Well, it doesn't mean it actually plops out! lol

But it does mean it (testical or piece of bowel) gets into a pocket where it doesn't belong, and then gets "squeezed" to where it HURTS quite a lot. Doc told me if it ever can't be "pushed back in", that I needed to get to emergency right NOW, as it's critical, and you can die from that quite quickly. That is, if it's a piece of bowel it traps everything that should "move out" of it and you can come close to dying in as little as 5-6 hours... How's that for scary?

Here's another thing: it's a 27% likely risk that EVERY man will have this sort of hernia in his life...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inguinal_hernia

Damn Uncle Mike, I feel dizzy from thinking about that, and I've had the snip,
God speed in your recovery.

On the bright side we could ask NOS to take a look at it with his new camera and from the sounds of things he more compitent that the doctors :lol:

I had a direct bilateral inguinal hernia repair when I was 2 months old. i was actually supposed to have an indirect bilateral inguinal hernia repair yesterday but my ankle fixation surgery got in the way. My father in law is having the same surgery tomorrow as a matter of fact. Luckily mine does not hurt, so you better get yours fixed soon! From what I hear, don't plan on pooping, laughing, sneezing, coughing, or using any pelvic muscles for about a week :laugh:

buckeye

How is the ankle?

On the hernia repair,they can do those through a laprasope and incert a mesh for reinforcement. Or can be a open procedure with direct suture repair. Get it fixed for sure. As you stated it could turn into a serious issue if you get a strangulation of your bowel or worse,you could lose a nut. No magnet for finding that one.

one of my friends lost a nut, the tubes for it flipped inside of the testicle and cut off circulation for a couple days...no saving it. It would be a shame to lose a nut over your abdominal wall :)

catfishman

i had it done in 2009, they repaired both sides, it was laproscopic with the mesh. i went home the same day, i thought i would never walk right again, the doctor wanted me up walking and said i should be able to ride a bike the next day, yeah right, i did walk around the half block in my neighborhood, kept doing it everyday, would walk more each day, so you will feel better each day, after a week you should be fine. i was cleared to lift anything after 2 or 4 weeks cant remember which, i did not use ice, but maybe should have. you will be fine in a week or so. good luck to you

MikeBear

This is going to be open surgery, with mesh. Doctor said that would be best in my case, because of adhesions due to the botched vasectomy work that "doctor" did to me from Blue Care Network. He can cut the adhesions, and free everything up to hang right again. Surgery is on a Thursday, and he said I could go back to work the following Monday. That all means I only need 2 days off of work (24 hours in this case, as I work 12 hour shifts) I'll still get 100% pay for being off, as I have 10 days 100% sick pay saved up.

I've been convinced for years that he sewed/entrapped the right cord to the inside of the cut in my sack. It's been steadily getting worse for years, (near constant feeling of testicle being lightly "squeezed") but I NEVER actually suspected a hernia! Everything now has fallen into place, and makes so much more sense that it is in fact a hernia. But he still caused it by the way he worked, that's undisputed.

I have high hopes that this will really make all the difference in my pain level, and even now believe that some of what I THOUGHT was sciatica pain, is in fact pain from the hernia.

Last edited:

MikeBear

Well, getting closer to that knife. I had my nurse pre-surgery interview on Wednesday before work. Today, I have to get an EKG as it's been 1 year since my last one.

Boy I hope this one goes easy. I hate it when they kill me during surgery, and I don't want that happening again! Last time they killed me my chest hurt for over a year. :laugh:

:thumbsup: Good Luck Uncle Mike.

You'd better hope there no pretty nurses running around in those mini skirts - here it hurt like a mother if get a !!!!! - you know what I mean:laugh:

Good luck MB. I just had an umbilical hernia repaired last Thursday...pretty minor as it was not done laproscopic or with mesh. Dulcolax and Vicodin will be your two new best friends:thumbsup:

Take care and go easy-

buckeye

Have your wife shave ya cause at most places they have a guy do it. Embarassing to get excited with someone of the same sex shaving ya.:laugh:

MikeBear

:thumbsup: Good Luck Uncle Mike.

You'd better hope there no pretty nurses running around in those mini skirts - here it hurt like a mother if get a !!!!! - you know what I mean:laugh:
Due to pain from various damage there, he no longer rises to any occasion. :shrug:

Perhaps this surgery will cure that problem? I'm hoping... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Good luck on your surgery!! I had an umbilical hernia fixed about a year ago. Hurt like hell. All the research I did, scared me. You can die from blockage due to the hernia:eek:ut:. It still bothers me now and then slightly. I think its nuts Drs are just like" push it back in"".:scooter: