Home Machine Shop

Seems Yellowhand has so much fun on his lathe, I got inspired to bore out some 334WX's today. they are going to .920 from .750 venturi for some mild drag clone motors.

As you can see, the venturi band gets pretty long after boring. that's bad for signal so the next step is to taper from the high side nozzle to the throttle bore. Then taper to the adapter from the HSN too.

oldfatguy be very very careful doing the drill press mill . it can kill you ,or mess ya up atleast . the chucks in a drill press are not meant to take the side load of milling and wear out fast . but the thing that is worse is the chucks on most drill presses now days is not a thread on thing it fits by a taper .the side loading of milling will pop the chuck off the spindle and send it flying .

oldfatguy

oldfatguy be very very careful doing the drill press mill . it can kill you ,or mess ya up atleast . the chucks in a drill press are not meant to take the side load of milling and wear out fast . but the thing that is worse is the chucks on most drill presses now days is not a thread on thing it fits by a taper .the side loading of milling will pop the chuck off the spindle and send it flying .
It's only good for light duty work on small parts, I have mine set up on an older craftsman floor model drill press and it has worked fine for many years.
It is by no means compares to a regular milling machine but it will let you do some basic milling on small parts. I have to take very light cuts and take my time, if I try too heavy of a cut it will shift the table of the drill press. The one problem that I have is vibration in the cutter. I have been able to mill a head for my briggs.You could also mill a key slot in the crankshaft with it too. I found that running at the lowest speed setting helps too. I don't have enough need for a milling machine to justify spending over 1000 dollars for one. You are right this could be dangerous if it is not used carefully and probably should only be used on a heavy duty drill press and not on one of the cheap table top presses made in china

"I have mine set up on an older craftsman floor model drill press and it has worked fine for many years. "
i think the key thing you have said is "older " alot of the new drill presses have even the usa ones have a morse taper type spindle in them and thats what brings the most grief. the side load on the spindle causes the taper to release and the chuck to go flying out . i seen a guy build a cnc mill out of a $50 harbor freight drill and some aluminum plate it seems to work very well for him . but he had to redo the quill and chuck setup .
it is a very cool idea and one i was going to do too . the hey ill just get a x y table and i can mill some simple parts on the drill press :thumbsup::thumbsup: .but then started to look into it and seen some real scary pics of drill chucks embedded in shop walls ,and even a few with blood splatter .and started to rethink the idea , if your works as a mill good for you im glad you can do it . i just hope that any one else that thinks about it takes the time to look over there machine, and see if it can even hold up to what they are asking it to do . if you have a taper lock spindle dont do milling on it you can get hurt bad . even with a threaded on chuck there is still risk .

i seen a guy build a cnc mill out of a $50 harbor freight drill and some aluminum plate it seems to work very well for him . but he had to redo the quill and chuck setup .
it is a very cool idea and one i was going to do too.
Make that a project thread please...I'd like to see how it's done. Maybe we can save $65K next time we need a new CNC mill.

Last edited:
Make that a project thread please...I'd like to see how it's done. Maybe we can save $65K next time we need a new CNC mill.
Lol. yea, I don't know about 50 dollar drills, but there IS a whole big community of people devoted to converting the Sieg X2 mini mills into CNC machines. they run anywhere from 400-700 bucks stock. I have one from LMS and it's a nice mill. R8 taper and good torque. Z axis is limiting however if using a vice. I want a DRO for it, but damn DRO pros unit goes for more than the mill.

ill look for the thread i seen on it , its on a gun smithing site .im sure its no wear near the quality of even the junkiest most worn out machine you have in your shop . i know it would in no way be able to do what a $65k machine could do . but for the home machinist just dinking around making parts it would be good for that i would think .

ha ha i found it iB::Topic::Bench top mill thought i had lost it in the big mother board melt down . lost alot of book marks to some really cool ideas on how to make all kinds of stuff :sad:. from gears to machine tools, electronic controllers, pwm drivers from common parts . and that reminds me i need to back up the book mark file so i dont lose them again!!!!!

oldfatguy

ill look for the thread i seen on it , its on a gun smithing site .im sure its no wear near the quality of even the junkiest most worn out machine you have in your shop . i know it would in no way be able to do what a $65k machine could do . but for the home machinist just dinking around making parts it would be good for that i would think .

ha ha i found it iB::Topic::Bench top mill thought i had lost it in the big mother board melt down . lost alot of book marks to some really cool ideas on how to make all kinds of stuff :sad:. from gears to machine tools, electronic controllers, pwm drivers from common parts . and that reminds me i need to back up the book mark file so i dont lose them again!!!!!
that's the same mill table that I have on my drill press.